Slip and falls can happen at any time during the year. However, during the holidays you will probably visit stores, restaurants, and other venues more than you are during other times of the year. You are also likely to attend more parties during this time of year. Therefore, you may be at risk of being injured in a holiday slip and fall.
Why are Holiday Slip
and Falls Common?
Stores have additional merchandise for the holidays that may be stacked precariously or blocking walkways. Stores have a duty to keep walkways clear for customers. In addition, merchandise should not be stacked or stored in a manner that could shift causing a customer to fall.
Additional crowds in restaurants and stores may result in spills that are not immediately cleaned up because wait staff or workers are too busy because they are short-staffed. Also, hosts who may not often entertain in their homes need to be aware of potential holiday slip and fall hazards that could cause a guest to be injured.
What Should You Do After
a Holiday Slip and Fall?
You cannot control your surroundings, but you can be aware of your surroundings. Look out for hazards that could cause a trip and fall. However, if you are injured in a holiday slip and fall, there are some steps that you should take to protect your legal right to seek compensation for your injuries.
- Report the fall immediately to the property owner or the manager. Ask for a copy of the written incident report. If the person does not create a written report, you need to make sure to note the person’s name and title, as well as the date and time you made the report.
- If there are eyewitnesses, ask for the witnesses’ names and contact information.
- See a doctor, regardless of the severity of your injury. You may not believe you are seriously injured. However, you may begin to experience injury symptoms. Any delay in medical care could be used against you by an insurance provider.
- Preserve your clothing and shoes in the event you need to file a claim and questions arise as to what you were wearing at the time of the fall.
- Refrain from discussing the fall or your injuries on social media. If possible, do not use social media after an accident. Consult with an attorney to avoid social media mistakes after a holiday slip and fall.
- Keep detailed notes of all meetings and conversations with anyone regarding your fall.
- Do not provide a written or recorded statement to any party before you consult with a Sacramento slip and fall attorney.
Contact a Sacramento
Slip and Fall Attorney Now
If you are injured in a slip and fall, California’s premises liability laws allow you to seek compensation for your injuries from a negligent property owner. Laws related to slips and falls can be complex. We encourage you to discuss your claim with one of our Sacramento slip and fall attorneys as soon as possible.
Is your child receiving a bicycle for Christmas? Bicycle accidents after the holidays cause many injuries for children. Inexperience is one reason for bicycle accidents. Insufficient safety training is another reason for bicycle crashes. Each year, hundreds of thousands of individuals are injured in bicycle accidents nationwide.
Children between the ages of 5 through 14 years and 15 to 19 years have the highest rate of bicycle-related injuries treated in emergency departments. These age groups account for one-third of the emergency room visits for bicycle injuries.
If your child is receiving a bicycle for Christmas, there are steps that you can take to reduce the risk of bicycle accidents.
Tips for Reducing Bicycle Accidents for Children
- Make sure that the bicycle you choose is the correct height and size for your child. Incorrect bicycle size can increase the risk of a bicycle crash.
- Always make sure that your child wears a bicycle helmet that fits properly. Look for bicycle helmets that have the highest rating for safety and protection.
- Children should also wear protecting knee pads and elbow pads when riding a bicycle.
- Do not allow children to ride bicycles without shoes or while wearing flip-flops or open-toed shoes.
- Train your child in safe bicycling behavior. Children need to understand where to ride their bicycle, how to cross the street, and ways to avoid a crash.
- Do not allow young children to ride bicycles without supervision.
- Make sure that your child’s bicycle has lights and reflectors to increase visibility.
- Do not allow children to ride bicycles at dawn, dusk, or night when drivers may not see them, and it is more difficult to avoid hazards.
What Should You Do If Your Child is Injured in a Bicycle Accident?
Immediately seek medical treatment for your child. Bicycle accidents can cause serious injuries for children. Therefore, even if your child appears to be “fine,” it is always good to see your pediatrician for a physical examination.
If you believe that your child’s bicycle accident was caused by a negligent driver, defective bicycle part, or other wrongdoing, call a Sacramento bicycle accident attorney immediately. Preserve the bicycle and any other evidence from the accident scene.
You and your child may receive compensation for damages related to the accident. Your child may receive compensation for his or her injuries, pain, and suffering caused by a bicycle accident. In addition, you may receive compensation for your financial damages related to the accident. However, you must prove that another party caused the bicycle crash. A Sacramento bicycle accident attorney can help you identify the cause of the accident and gather evidence to prove fault.
Contact a Sacramento Bicycle Accident Attorney
Learn about your legal rights and your child’s legal rights during a free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys in Sacramento. For a free case review, contact The Tiemann Law Firm by calling (916) 999-9000 or by visiting our website.
When you are injured through no fault of your own, California’s personal injury laws provide a way for you to recover compensation from the at-fault party. Examples of incidents that often give rise to a personal injury claim in California include:
- Car Accidents
- Motorcycle Crashes
- Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Bus and Truck Accidents
- Slips and Falls
- Accidents Involving Defective Products
- DUI Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Dog Attacks
- Elder Abuse and Nursing Home Abuse
The Sacramento personal injury lawyers of The Tiemann Law Firm handle a variety of cases involving personal injuries. We help you seek compensation for your injuries and losses in the fastest and least costly manner possible.
Should I Accept A Settlement Offer from the Insurance Company?
If the insurance company for the at-fault party offers to settle your claim, you need to consider all your options carefully before accepting a settlement offer. Once you accept an offer to settle your claim, you cannot seek further compensation even if you discover additional injuries or damages after the settlement is finalized.
Some insurance companies recognize that they can save money by offering a quick, low settlement to an accident victim before that victim consults with a personal injury lawyer in Sacramento or understands the full extent of the injuries sustained in the accident. Therefore, it is in your best interest to consult with a lawyer before you accept a settlement offer to ensure you are receiving all compensation you are entitled to receive by law.
Hiring an Attorney Does Not Mean Going to Court
Many people assume that they only need to hire a California personal injury lawyer if they need to file a personal injury lawsuit. However, hiring an attorney to negotiate a settlement can increase your chance of receiving more money for your claim. When you consider it is free to talk with one of our attorneys, there is no reason why you should not obtain legal advice before settling a claim.
Our attorneys attempt to settle claims without the necessity of a lawsuit for several reasons. Some of the reasons we seek to settle your claim without a trial include:
- Filing a lawsuit increases the attorney fees and costs of a personal injury claim. In most cases, the costs and fees are less when a claim is settled without filing a lawsuit.
- Going to trial is more time-consuming than settling a claim out of court. Settling a claim without a trial usually results in faster
- When you go to trial, a jury decides your fate. You have no guarantee that the jury will rule in your favor. Settling outside of court gives you a say in the result.
- Trials can be incredibly stressful, especially if the victim is required to testify at the trial.
There are many benefits of settling your claim without filing a lawsuit. However, even if you file a lawsuit, you can still settle the claim before a trial is held. Our Sacramento personal injury lawyers are skilled and talented negotiators, but they are also seasoned trial litigators. Therefore, whether your claim is settled outside of court or you must file a lawsuit, our office is prepared and equipped to handle your claim.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer in Sacramento
If another person or party has injured you, do not let your right to recover compensation be taken away from you. For a free consultation with an experienced California personal injury lawyer, call The Tiemann Law Firm at (916) 999-9000 or visit our website.
California requires all motorcyclists and riders to wear a motorcycle helmet when riding pursuant to CVC §27803. The motorcycle helmet must comply with U.S. DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218. Motorcycle helmets are effective in reducing deaths and brain injuries in a motorcycle accident.
According to the IIHS, the use of a motorcycle helmet reduces the risk of death from a motorcycle crash by about 37 percent. Helmets also reduce the risk of a brain injury from a motorcycle accident by about 67 percent. However, motorcycle helmets do not prevent all brain injuries or deaths.
Brain Injuries and Head Injuries in Motorcycle Crashes
The lack of protection offered by an enclosed vehicle increases a rider’s risk of being seriously injured during a motorcycle crash. The rider’s only protection is safety gear, such as a motorcycle helmet, gloves, boots, gloves, and specialized clothing for motorcyclists. However, helmets and clothing cannot protect a motorcyclist fully from injuries in a crash. These safety measures can reduce the risk of injuries, but they do not prevent all injuries.
Therefore, you can suffer a brain injury in a motorcycle accident even though you are wearing a U.S. DOT-compliant helmet. The helmet may decrease the severity of the injury; however, that is not always the case either. Motorcyclists can suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI) in motorcycle crash even while wearing a helmet. Every crash is different. You cannot state with absolute certainty that if you wear a helmet, you will not suffer a TBI or other head injury in a crash.
Do Not Allow an Insurance Company to Deny Your Motorcycle Accident Claim Unjustly
Unfortunately, insurance companies will seize on any reason to deny or undervalue a motorcycle accident claim. Therefore, if an insurance adjuster tries to convince you that you do not have a valid injury claim because you were wearing a motorcycle helmet, contact our Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney immediately.
You are entitled to compensation for your motorcycle injuries. Our attorneys fight aggressively on behalf of motorcyclists and passengers to ensure insurance companies do not deny or undervalue claims unjustly or unfairly. Motorcycle accident claims can be complex and difficult, especially if the insurance company believes it can blame the motorcyclist for any of the liability for the accident or the severity of the injuries.
To help avoid issues in your case, we advise that you:
- See a doctor immediately and follow your doctor’s instructions.
- Consult a Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer before discussing your claim with the insurance provider for the other driver.
- Never sign a medical release authorization before consulting with an attorney.
- Never provide a recorded or written statement until after you speak with our attorneys.
- Avoid discussing your accident or injuries on social media. The safest option is to stop using social media and posting information online until your claim is settled.
- Keep detailed records of all losses and expenses.
- Make notes about your daily pain level, activities you cannot perform, and other ways your injuries impact your daily life.
Contact a Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Attorney Now
Black Friday is still a couple of weeks away; however, the holiday shopping frenzy is well underway. Unfortunately, great deals are not the only things that many shoppers may find this year. Some shoppers may find themselves involved in parking lot accidents while bargain hunting for the perfect holiday gift.
Parking Lot Crashes Increase During the Holiday Season
When we hear about a traffic accident, we usually assume it occurred on the interstate, highway, or other road or street in or around Sacramento. However, over 50,000 auto accidents occur each year in parking lots and garage structures in the United States. Parking lot accidents result in an average of 500 deaths each year and more than 60,000 injuries.
Even though parking lot accidents are a serious problem throughout the year, the holiday season tends to be worse than any other time of the year for parking lot crashes. According to the National Safety Council, auto insurers report an increase in the number of claims on Black Friday. The number of parking lot accident claims continue to be above average throughout the holiday season. However, the number of reported accidents may not represent the total number of crashes in parking lots as some people may not report the incidents to their insurance provider.
Pedestrian Injuries in Parking Lot Accidents
Pedestrians sustain many of the injuries in parking lot accidents. Distracted driving and distracted walking are one of the most common causes of pedestrian injuries in parking lot accidents. Thousands of pedestrians suffer brain injuries, broken bones, and back injuries because of a parking lot accident.
How to Avoid a Parking Lot Accident
The best way to avoid a parking lot accident this year is to remain alert. Avoid all forms of distraction, including using your cell phone or other electronic device while driving or walking.
In addition, drivers need to slow down and watch for vehicles backing out or pedestrians crossing in front of traffic. Children may dart out between cars or rush to get to the front of the store. If a driver is speeding through the parking lot, the driver may not have time to avoid an accident.
When backing out of a parking space, a driver should proceed very slowly and continuously watch for other vehicles and pedestrians. While the technology to help a driver avoid crashes while backing out is a great help, drivers should not rely solely on technology to avoid an accident.
Damages Caused by a Parking Lot Accident
Even a fender bender can cause physical injuries. In many cases, a person may realize days after the accident that he or she suffered a neck or back injury that continues to cause pain and limited motion.
Because you could suffer injuries you may not be aware of immediately after a crash, it is important to report parking lot crashes. A driver may agree that he or she is responsible for the crash only to deny liability if you file an insurance claim for damages. Having an official accident report can be beneficial when you are trying to prove fault in a parking lot accident.
Contact a Sacramento Parking Lot Accident Attorney for More Information