Determining Damages for Traumatic Brain Injuries
Posted on Monday, May 16th, 2022 at 6:44 am
Your brain is the most amazing and complex organ in your body. It’s responsible for everything you do from breathing and swallowing to walking, thinking, solving problems, interpreting social cues, and experiencing emotions. That’s why even a small amount of brain damage can have devastating consequences.
The costs associated with treating traumatic brain injuries are staggering. The Centers for Disease Control report that approximately 76.5 billion dollars are spent annually for hospitalizations, testing, medications, and rehabilitation. That’s why if you’ve suffered a traumatic brain injury because of a car, truck, motorcycle or other type of accident you need an experienced attorney to help determine the amount of damages you should seek.
Compensation You May be Entitled To
Your attorney will look at all the facts pertaining to your case to determine who is liable for your injuries. He or she will also learn the nature of your brain injuries and areas of your life it is likely to impact. Your attorney will be looking not just at the expenses you’ve already incurred but what you’ll need in the future. Areas you are entitled to seek damages for include:
- Current medical expenses—bills you currently have
- Future medical and rehabilitation expenses—will therapies help restore function to the damaged area of your brain? Will you need ongoing, perhaps lifetime, care to accomplish daily tasks?
- Loss of income—this is what you’ve already lost due to the brain injury preventing you from working
- Loss of future earning capacity—this includes compensation in the cases where mental, emotional, cognitive, or physical changes prohibit you from progressing in your career as you would have before the brain injury, or you are unable to work at all.
- Pain and suffering and diminished quality of life—California is one of the few states that does not have a cap on non-economic damages. Although these can be hard to put a number on, victims of traumatic brain injuries are often in a position where it is appropriate to seek this type of compensation.
Have you or a loved one been a victim of a DUI, car, truck, or motorcycle accident, dog attack, or a slip and fall incident? If so, Tiemann Law Firm can help. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free, same-day consultation by calling: (916) 999-9000.