If you are the passenger in a vehicle involved in a traffic accident in Sacramento, you need to understand your rights. You may be entitled to compensation for injuries from multiple sources. Understanding how to proceed with a claim is crucial. Our Sacramento accident attorneys help passengers file injury claims to recover compensation for damages.
Call (916) 999-9000 to schedule a free consultation with a Sacramento car accident attorney.
Passenger Injury Claims in California
When a passenger is injured in a car accident, the passenger may have a personal injury claim against multiple parties. If the accident involved only one car, you might have a claim against the driver. When a driver is negligent, the driver is liable for damages sustained by his passengers.
In two-car accidents or multiple vehicle accidents, you must determine fault before filing a claim. If the driver of another vehicle caused the crash, that driver is liable for your damages. However, what happens when both drivers are responsible for causing the crash? In some cases, you would file an accident claim against both drivers. Because fault is the key factor in an accident claim, you need a Sacramento car accident attorney to investigate the crash. You can only recover money for your claim by identifying the party or parties who caused the crash.
Steps a Passenger Should Take After a Car Crash
Passengers injured in a car accident to take steps to protect their legal rights. Some steps a passenger should take after a car accident include:
- Seek immediate medical care. Protecting your health is very important. However, you must also document your injuries for a claim.
- Ask for information from the drivers. At the accident scene, ask all drivers to provide their names, addresses, contact information, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information.
- Take photographs and videos. If possible, you should take photographs and make videos of the accident scene. Try to include the damage to all vehicles, traffic signs, skid marks, and the area surrounding the accident.
- Ask eyewitnesses for contact information. Eyewitness testimony is extremely helpful during an accident claim.
- Obtain the name and contact information for the police officer. You need a copy of the police report for your records.
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone until you meet with an attorney. You are a witness to the accident. However, you need to protect your best interests by learning about your rights from an attorney.
- Avoid talking to the insurance company for either driver. The insurance company can use what you say against you.
- Keep copies of all documents related to the accident and your injury. It is helpful to keep a journal containing notes of all discussions and events related to the crash.
Get Help From a Passenger Injury Attorney in Sacramento
Passengers are the innocent victims of a car crash. A passenger had no control over either vehicle. However, insurance companies treat passenger injury claims like all other claims. The companies pay as little as possible to settle a claim.
For a free legal consultation, call the Tiemann Law Firm at (916) 999-9000 or visit our website. A Sacramento injury lawyer reviews your case free of charge. You get the answers you need and the legal advice you need to protect your rights.