Burn Injuries Related To California Motor-Vehicle Accidents
Posted on Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Accident victims who suffer burn injuries can face a lifetime of pain and mental anguish. In addition, victims often require extensive medical treatments including cosmetic surgery, physical therapy, rehabilitation, and pain management. When the medical expense is added to the lost wages and other damages for pain and suffering, an accident claim involving a burn injury can reach into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
To ensure you receive a fair and just settlement for your claim, you should consult with a Sacramento car accident attorney before agreeing to any settlement. It is in your best interest to contact an attorney as early as soon as possible so the attorney can protect your legal rights and protect you from aggressive insurance adjusters.
Call (916) 999-9000 for a free consultation with a Sacramento car accident attorney.
Burns in Car Accidents
Car accidents can cause serious burns. Even a minor burn can cause a more serious condition if the burn is not treated correctly. Infections are a common complication for burn victims. Therefore, it is important to seek immediate medical attention for a burn, regardless of the severity of the burn.
Burns are generally classified into categories based on the severity of the burn.
- First Degree burns are the least severe because they only damage the outer layer of skin.
- Second Degree burns damage the skin below the first layer, can result in severe pain, and cause scarring.
- Third Degree burns can destroy or damage nerves and cause long-term damage.
- Fourth Degree burns are the most severe burns and the damage is extensive.
For detailed information about burns and what you should do if you suffer a burn, visit the Mayo Clinic website.
Long-Term Effects of Burn Injuries
Because of the advancement in medical care, fewer people die from burn injuries unless the burn covers an extensive section of the body or the burn is extremely severe. However, minor burns can cause long-term consequences. For victims who suffer infections, the complications from a burn can result in death or disability. In addition, the scarring and disfigurement can be difficult to deal with both physically and mentally.
Damages for a Burn Injury
The damages for a burn injury depend on several factors including the severity of the burn and whether the victim suffered any permanent disability or damage from the burn. However, most victims are entitled to compensation for their:
- Medical bills, including compensation for future surgeries, skin grafts, physical therapy, and medication
- Lost income, including future lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- Physical pain and emotional stress
- Mental anguish and suffering
- Scarring, disfigurement, and permanent disability
- Physical therapy, rehabilitation, and psychological counseling
It is important to hire an attorney who is familiar with burn injuries to help you maximize the amount of compensation you can receive for your claim. The money will not undo the damage from the fire or the car accident. However, the money you receive can help provide for your needs and future medical care.
Call a Sacramento Burn Injury Attorney for Help
The Sacramento burn injury attorneys of the Tiemann Law Firm can be reached by telephone at (916) 999-9000.