WHAT TO DO AFTER A HOLIDAY SLIP AND FALL?
Posted on Friday, December 7th, 2018 at 11:19 pm
Slip and falls can happen at any time during the year. However, during the holidays you will probably visit stores, restaurants, and other venues more than you are during other times of the year. You are also likely to attend more parties during this time of year. Therefore, you may be at risk of being injured in a holiday slip and fall.
Why are Holiday Slip and Falls Common?
Stores have additional merchandise for the holidays that may be stacked precariously or blocking walkways. Stores have a duty to keep walkways clear for customers. In addition, merchandise should not be stacked or stored in a manner that could shift causing a customer to fall.
Additional crowds in restaurants and stores may result in spills that are not immediately cleaned up because wait staff or workers are too busy because they are short-staffed. Also, hosts who may not often entertain in their homes need to be aware of potential holiday slip and fall hazards that could cause a guest to be injured.
What Should You Do After a Holiday Slip and Fall?
You cannot control your surroundings, but you can be aware of your surroundings. Look out for hazards that could cause a trip and fall. However, if you are injured in a holiday slip and fall, there are some steps that you should take to protect your legal right to seek compensation for your injuries.
- Report the fall immediately to the property owner or the manager. Ask for a copy of the written incident report. If the person does not create a written report, you need to make sure to note the person’s name and title, as well as the date and time you made the report.
- If there are eyewitnesses, ask for the witnesses’ names and contact information.
- See a doctor, regardless of the severity of your injury. You may not believe you are seriously injured. However, you may begin to experience injury symptoms. Any delay in medical care could be used against you by an insurance provider.
- Preserve your clothing and shoes in the event you need to file a claim and questions arise as to what you were wearing at the time of the fall.
- Refrain from discussing the fall or your injuries on social media. If possible, do not use social media after an accident. Consult with an attorney to avoid social media mistakes after a holiday slip and fall.
- Keep detailed notes of all meetings and conversations with anyone regarding your fall.
- Do not provide a written or recorded statement to any party before you consult with a Sacramento slip and fall attorney.
Contact a Sacramento Slip and Fall Attorney Now
If you are injured in a slip and fall, California’s premises liability laws allow you to seek compensation for your injuries from a negligent property owner. Laws related to slips and falls can be complex. We encourage you to discuss your claim with one of our Sacramento slip and fall attorneys as soon as possible.
Contact The Tiemann Law Firm by calling (916) 999-9000 or by visiting our website for a free consultation.