HOW TO STAY SAFE ON SACRAMENTO ROADS
Posted on Wednesday, March 30th, 2016 at 5:52 pm
Have you sat in a traffic jam on Sunrise Boulevard or Highway 50 at Hazel Avenue due to a traffic accident? Does the stop and go traffic on Highway 99 make your commute frustrating? Anyone who lives or works in the Sacramento area knows how quickly traffic can come to a standstill because of a traffic accident. One small fender bender can back traffic up for miles.
While you cannot control what other drivers do while they are on the road, you can control your driving decisions. The following are steps you can take that may help you avoid being in a traffic accident.
- Always Wear Your Seat Belts – If you cannot avoid an accident, you can reduce your risk of serious injury by simply using your seat belt. Seat belts combined with air bags have been shown to prevent or reduce injuries in a motor vehicle accident. Unfortunately, some people do not obey California seat belt laws when they are in a vehicle. Wearing your seat belt is not just the law — it can save your life.
- Obey All Traffic Laws – The California Traffic Code was enacted to protect drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and bystanders from being injured. Traffic laws are designed to reduce the risk of accidents when drivers obey the laws. For example, speeding and reckless driving are common causes of accidents as is passing in a curve and failing to yield the right of way. By obeying the traffic laws, you reduce your risk of being involved in a motor vehicle accident.
- Avoid Distracted Driving – You cannot stop other drivers from distracted driving; however, you can avoid distracted driving by keeping your focus on the road ahead. Texting, talking on a mobile device, eating, grooming, and any other activity that takes your attention away from driving can result in an accident. In addition to causing an accident, distracted driving can result in you missing the opportunity to avoid an accident because you were not focusing on the road ahead.
- Find an Alternate Route – If you have to travel at rush hour, avoid the heavily traveled roads if possible to reduce your risk of being involved in a traffic accident.
- Maintain Your Vehicle – Keep your tires properly inflated, change tires when they are worn, ensure your brakes are functioning properly, change worn windshield wipers, and perform other maintenance to ensure your vehicle is operating at peak performance. A properly maintained vehicle can help you avoid accidents.
- Purchase Vehicles With Safety Features – When it is time to purchase a new vehicle, look for a vehicle that has several standard safety features such as airbags, stability control systems, antilock brakes, side impact protection, active head restraints, and brake assist systems.
Have You Been Injured in a Sacramento Vehicle Accident?
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in Sacramento or the surrounding communities, the personal injury attorneys of the Tiemann Law Firm can help. Our accident attorneys have extensive experience representing individuals and families who are suffering because another driver was careless, reckless, or negligent.