SEVEN WAYS TO AVOID PEDESTRIAN DEATHS IN SACRAMENTO
Posted on Wednesday, March 4th, 2020 at 6:22 pm
A recent report indicated that pedestrian deaths would hit a 28-year high in 2018. California is one of the states that have the highest number of pedestrian fatalities year after year. Many of the pedestrian deaths caused by motor vehicles are attributed to driver error. However, pedestrians must exercise caution too. Pedestrians do not always have the right of way. Even when a pedestrian does have the right of way, he or she can reduce the risk of a pedestrian accident by taking certain precautions.
Seven Ways to Avoid a Pedestrian Accident
Seven things a pedestrian can do to reduce the risk of a pedestrian death or pedestrian accident are:
1. Use crosswalks whenever possible. If a crosswalk is not available, try to cross roads at intersections with stop signs or traffic signals.
2. Always obey traffic laws and traffic signals. Do not cross against the light or when the pedestrian crossing signal says not to cross.
3. Avoid distractions. Distractions include using a cell phone and wearing headphones. Distractions while walking increase the risk of a pedestrian death.
4. Look both ways before crossing the road and try to make eye contact with the driver to ensure the driver sees you.
5. Whenever walking at night, use extra caution. Carrying a flashlight and wearing brightly colored clothing can increase visibility.
6. Using sidewalks whenever possible can reduce the risk of a pedestrian accident. Walk as far away from the roadway as possible.
7. Teach children about pedestrian safety. Hold hands with children when walking, including crossing streets and walking through parking lots.
What Should You Do After a Pedestrian Accident?
If a motor vehicle hits you or your child, call 911 immediately to report the accident. Treat the accident as you would a car accident. Take pictures of the accident scene and ask the eyewitnesses for contact information. Seek immediate medical treatment for your injuries. You need to document your injuries and financial losses. Keep copies of all bills, invoices, and other evidence of expenses and losses related to the accident.
As soon as possible, contact our Sacramento pedestrian accident attorneys for a free case review. The injuries from a pedestrian accident can result in long-term disabilities and impairments. The injuries caused by a vehicle hitting a child can cause problems with development and growth. Careful documentation of injuries and damages is essential to maximize the value of an injury claim.
Also, an attorney works to gather evidence that proves the driver was at fault for causing the accident. Without proof that the driver caused the pedestrian accident, you cannot recover compensation for your injuries, losses, and damages.
Contact a Sacramento Pedestrian Accident Attorney Now
Pedestrian deaths are increasing. Individuals need to take steps to protect themselves from being struck by vehicles while walking. If a careless or negligent driver injures you, you may be entitled to substantial compensation. However, you must prove fault before you can recover the money you deserve after being injured in a car accident.
Contact The Tiemann Law Firm by calling (916) 999-9000 or by visiting our website to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Sacramento pedestrian accident lawyer.