Posted on Monday, December 11th, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Riding bicycles is something the entire family can enjoy, especially in California. Our weather and beautiful green areas make bicycling a part of everyday life for many individuals in Sacramento and throughout California. For that reason, many children receive bicycles for Christmas each year. Some children are just learning to ride a bicycle while other children are receiving new bicycles to keep pace with their level of expertise. If your little one is receiving a bicycle this year for Christmas, it is also a good idea to give your child a bicycle safety course to help your child learn or reinforce safe bicycling habits. In addition, it also helps to review safe bicycling tips for parents too.
California Bicycle Safety Tips
- Always wear a bicycling helmet and other safety gear when riding. Wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of serious head injuries and brain injuries. Set an example for your children by always wearing your helmet each time you ride.
- Wear brightly colored clothing, use bicycle reflectors, and use reflective tape on clothing to increase the visibility of the rider to motorists.
- Equip your bicycle with a headlight and a taillight.
- Teach children how to safely cross the street at crosswalks or intersections, including making eye contact with drivers prior to crossing the street.
- Ride as far to the right as safely possible and be extremely cautious when approaching driveways, parking lots, and side streets.
- Watch out for motorists and passengers opening vehicle doors on parked cars in your path.
- Slow down when driving through neighborhoods where children might be riding their bicycles.
- Watch for children on bicycles near schools, parks, and other areas where children might gather.
- Be careful when approaching intersections and crosswalks.
- Before opening your car door, check for bicyclists approaching your vehicle.
Filing a Bicycle Accident Claim
We never want to see a child injured in a bicycle accident; however, it does happen. Sadly, thousands of children are injured each year in bicycle accidents in the United States. If your child is injured in an accident caused by a motorist or another party, it is important that you take steps to protect your child’s legal rights to file a bicycle accident claim and recover money for his or her injuries.
If possible, take photographs of the accident scene and ask witnesses for their names and contact information. Also, secure the bicycle and any equipment your child was wearing at the time of the crash as evidence.
After a physician has treated your child, contact our Sacramento bicycle accident attorneys for a free consultation. We can walk you through the steps you need to take to protect your child’s legal rights while providing compassionate support as you help your child heal from his or her injuries.
Sacramento Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Contact The Tiemann Law Firm by calling (916) 999-9000 or by visiting our website to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced California personal injury lawyers. Our law firm serves clients in Sacramento, Folsom, Roseville, El Dorado Hills and other communities in the greater Sacramento area.