PREGNANCY INJURIES FROM A CAR ACCIDENT
Posted on Friday, February 16th, 2018 at 11:45 pm
Being in a car accident is a traumatic event for anyone. However, for an expectant mother, a car accident can be a tragic event for her and her unborn child. The mother not only worries about her health, but the health and well-being of her child. Sadly, many things can go wrong for a pregnant woman after a car accident.
Pregnancy Risks from a Car Accident
- Stress from the Accident — Even if there are no other injuries, the stress from the accident can take a toll on a woman. Stress can cause an increase in blood pressure, which could cause distress for the unborn child.
- Internal Bleeding — In a car accident, you can be crushed during the impact by the crumpled vehicle or objects within the vehicle. An object can also penetrate the skin causing an internal injury. If internal bleeding occurs, hemorrhaging can put the mother and the child at serious risk.
- Pre-Term Labor — The force of the impact caused by the collision can cause the mother to go into pre-term labor. If the doctor cannot stop the labor, the child could be in danger of being born prematurely.
- Premature Birth — If the baby is born prematurely because of injuries or complications from the accident, the baby’s life and health are in jeopardy.
- Internal Damage or Hypoxia — Internal damage and hypoxia can create a high-risk pregnancy. High-risk pregnancies create complications for the mother and the child, before and after birth.
- Birth Defects — In some cases, the injuries sustained in the car accident can result in congenital disabilities. The child could suffer lifelong disabilities because of a car accident before the child was born.
Seek Medical Help
It is very important for anyone injured in a car accident to see a doctor as soon as possible after the crash. However, a pregnant woman must not take any chances with her health or her baby’s health. If a woman is expecting, she should call 911 for emergency medical services. It is better to have emergency personnel transport her to the hospital. The EMS personnel can monitor her condition and the baby’s condition until a doctor can examine both.
At the hospital, the mother should report even the slightest pain or ache to the doctor. The doctor needs all information so that he can decide which tests should be done to determine the severity and type of injury. Only after a thorough examination should a pregnant car accident victim return home with the doctor’s permission. If any symptoms appear, she should go to the emergency room or contact her doctor for instructions.
Call a Sacramento Car Accident Attorney
If you are injured in a car accident while pregnant, it is important to protect your rights and the rights of your child. Our Sacramento car accident attorneys will fight for your rights and your child’s rights against large insurance companies and aggressive defense attorneys. Our primary goal is to seek justice for you and your family.
For a free legal consultation with a Sacramento personal injury attorney, call The Tiemann Law Firm at (916) 999-9000 or visit our website. Our law firm serves clients in Sacramento, Folsom, Roseville, El Dorado Hills and other communities in the greater Sacramento area.