WHY DO PEOPLE DRIVE IF THEY ARE TIRED?
Posted on Monday, June 19th, 2017 at 11:56 pm
There are so many warnings for fatigued and drowsy drivers that you may wonder why anyone would drive if they are tired. We know that driving while we are tired is extremely dangerous and it increases our risk for being involved in a serious traffic accident so why do we drive tired knowing the dangers?
People who drive when they are tired may be driving that way because:
- They are on medications that have side effects that cause drowsiness.
- Some people drive after working the night shift which can increase tiredness and drowsiness.
- Drivers who drive for longer than four hours without a break can become overly tired.
- Consumption of alcohol can result in being tired the next day.
- Sleep apnea and other sleep disorders can result in being tired and drowsy.
In some cases, the driving environment can also contribute to the circumstances that make us tired. Driving in heavy traffic and dealing with aggressive drivers can make you very tired as can driving a vehicle in very warm temperatures without air conditioning. Knowing the warning signs of being tired can help you avoid fatigued driving that leads to a traffic accident.
Symptoms of Fatigued Driving
If you experience any of the following symptoms while driving, you need to take immediate action to avoid being involved in a fatigued driving accident:
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty concentrating on driving, including nodding off or having trouble keeping your eyes open
- Numbness in your arms or legs
- Constant or frequent blinking
- Moving in your seat or feelings of restlessness
- Forgetting the past few minutes
- Having trouble controlling the vehicle (i.e. speeding, going to slow, crossing yellow lines, trouble turning, etc.)
- Running stop signs or red lights
A tired driver can easily drift into another lane, fail to stop for traffic, or run a red light and cause a traffic accident. However, tired drivers can also become aggressive and angry increasing their risk for being involved in a crash. Driving while tired is extremely dangerous. If a tired driver causes a car accident, the driver can be held liable for any damages caused by the collision.
Liability for Car Accidents Caused by Tired Drivers
There are no laws prohibiting a person from operating a vehicle while they are tired. However, California traffic laws do require that all drivers take reasonable precautions to protect other drivers. Even though we may not be able to prove that a driver was tired at the time of the accident, we can prove that the driver did something to cause the collision.
As discussed above, a tired driver is more likely to drift into other lanes, speed, cut off drivers, or do other things that cause a collision. By proving the other driver’s actions caused the collision, we can hold that driver liable for any damages. Common damages in a tired driving accident include property damage, lost wages, medical costs, and other out-of-pocket expenses. In addition to the financial damages, you may also receive compensation for your emotional suffering and physical pain.
However, the first step is proving the other driver caused the accident. Proving fault can be complicated, but an experienced Sacramento accident attorney can help.
Call a Sacramento Tired Driving Accident Attorney for A Free Appointment
The Sacramento car accident lawyers of the Tiemann Law Firm offer free consultations for accident victims. Call our office at (916) 999-9000 or visit our website. Our law firm serves clients in Sacramento, Folsom, Roseville, El Dorado Hills and other communities in the greater Sacramento area.