MEMORIAL DAY TRAVEL SAFETY TIPS
MEMORIAL DAY TRAVEL SAFETY TIPS
Posted on Friday, May 19th, 2017 at 1:17 am
Many people will be traveling for the Memorial Day holiday; therefore, you may encounter congested roads throughout the greater Sacramento area. As we get closer to the holiday weekend, remember you must take extra caution when behind the wheel to avoid being involved in a traffic accident.
Safe Driving Tips for the Holiday Weekend
If you are traveling this holiday weekend or you are simply trying to get to work or run errands, remember these safe driving tips to avoid a holiday traffic accident:
- Leave earlier than normal. Just assume you are going to be stuck in a traffic jam with aggressive and frustrated drives, so leave early. Allow yourself extra time to arrive at your destination.
- Increase Following Distances. Stop and go traffic increases the risk for rear-end crashes. Increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you to allow you sufficient time to stop before colliding with another vehicle. You can assume that some drivers will be slamming on their breaks as they speed up and stop suddenly over and over again as they try to get through congested traffic.
- Don’t Drink and Drive. Alcohol is often a big part of many Memorial Day celebrations. If you plan to consume alcohol as part of your celebrations, don’t drive. Plan to stay at your destination, use public transportation, or designate a driver who will remain sober to drive.
- Buckle up! Each time you get into your vehicle, you should use your safety restraints, but especially on a holiday weekend when the risk of being in an accident increases. Make sure children are secured in child seats or infant seats that are appropriate for their age, height, and weight.
- Slow down. You cannot control what other drivers do, but you can control your driving. By slowing your speed, you give yourself additional time to stop or avoid a collision. Furthermore, as speed increases, the risk of traumatic injuries increase. Take your time and enjoy the ride.
- Put all distractions away. It is never safe to allow distractions while driving, but especially when additional traffic is on the road. Put down the electronics and limit all distractions while driving this Memorial Day Weekend.
- Plan your route. Before leaving home, plan your route and an alternate route, so you know how to get to your destination. By planning your route before leaving home, you avoid trying to read a map or adjust your GPS while driving. Furthermore, you can see alternate routes in case you run into traffic or a car wreck.
We wish everyone a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day Weekend. If you are injured in a car accident, call 911 and seek immediate medical care. After taking care of your health and your family, c all our office to discuss your options for recovering compensation for your injuries.
Call a California Car Accident Attorney
The Sacramento car accident attorneys of the Tiemann Law Firm can be reached by telephone at (916) 999-9000 or by visiting our website. Our law firm serves clients in Sacramento, Folsom, Roseville, El Dorado Hills and other communities in the greater Sacramento area.