Posted on Monday, January 18th, 2016 at 1:27 am
Five Moves That Can Hurt Your Accident Claim
Have you been injured by a distracted driver? Are you the victim of medical malpractice? Was your loved one killed in a truck accident? If so, the steps you take now could have a substantial impact on your ability to seek damages from the person who is at fault. Before you make a mistake that could lower the compensation you are entitled to receive, we encourage you to contact our office to discuss your accident claim with one of our attorneys. Your first appointment is free; therefore, you have nothing to lose.
Mistakes to Avoid that Can Hurt Your Accident Claim
- Failing to Seek Medical Attention – Even if you do not believe your injuries are severe, you need to be checked by your physician as soon as possible to protect your accident claim. You could be suffering from a closed head injury or other injury that has not presented itself fully through symptoms. You may realize in a few weeks that your aches and pains are symptoms of a much more serious injury. Unfortunately, the insurance company for the at-fault driver may argue that your delay in seeking medical treatment caused the injury to be worse than it was at the time of the accident.
- Providing a Written or Recorded Statement – The insurance adjuster may try to obtain a written or recorded statement from you regarding the accident claim or incident. It is never in your best interest to provide any statement to the at-fault party’s insurance company prior to consulting with an attorney. The insurance company will only try to use something you say against you later in the case to lower the amount of compensation it must pay for your claim.
- Providing a Medical Release – It may seem logical that the insurance company would request a medical release to verify your injuries; however, this is another tactic used by insurance companies to decrease liability. If the insurance company can obtain your medical history, it may try to use a prior accident or injury to claim your current injury or condition is not entirely the result of its insured’s actions.
- Using Social Media – If your attorney must file a personal injury lawsuit because the other party is not willing to negotiate a just and fair settlement, the attorney for the other party may obtain access to your social media accounts through a subpoena. Posts or comments that you make that may seem innocent to you could be misconstrued or misinterpreted by a jury. Before using social media, discuss the dangers with your personal injury attorney.
- Attempting to Settle Your Case Without an Attorney – The insurance company for the person who caused your accident wants you to handle your own accident claim. The insurance company has a team of professionals working on its behalf to lower its liability. The insurance company also knows that most people who retain a personal injury attorney receive a higher amount of compensation than people who negotiate directly with the insurance company. You deserve the best legal representation possible to protect your interest against big insurance companies.
Contact Our Office for a Free Consultation to Discuss Your Accident Claim
If you have been injured, we can help. Contact Tiemann Law Firm for your free consultation with one of our Sacramento personal injury attorneys. Call our toll free number at (916) 999-9000 or chat with a representative on our website. We want to protect your right to receive the compensation you deserve while you focus on what is most important — your recovery and your family.