HOW LONG DO I WAIT TO FILE A PERSONAL INJURY CLAIM AFTER MY CAR ACCIDENT?
Posted on Thursday, April 30th, 2020 at 10:22 pm
Your immediate priority after a car accident is your health. You need to seek medical treatment to diagnose your injuries and develop a treatment plan that gives you the best chance of recovery. Depending on the severity of your injuries, your recovery could take a few weeks or a few months. If you need surgery and therapy, you could receive treatment for many months.
At some time, you may begin to think about filing a personal injury claim. However, you do not want to wait too long to contact a Sacramento car accident lawyer. There are deadlines to file a personal injury claim. Missing those deadlines could cause you to lose your right to file a legal action seeking compensation for your injuries, damages, and losses.
Statute of Limitations for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit
When you are injured in a car accident in California, you have just two years from the date of the car accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. There are a few exceptions to this deadline, but very few. It is best to speak with an attorney as soon as possible to avoid missing the deadline.
Some of the situations that could shorten or lengthen the deadline to file a personal injury lawsuit for a car accident claim include, but are not limited to:
- One of the parties lives in another state;
- The accident involved a government agency or employee;
- A victim is under the age of 18 at the time of the accident;
- The cause of the injuries was not determined until much later after the accident;
- The accident victim is incapacitated; or,
- The accident involved a wrongful death.
To determine the deadline to file a personal injury lawsuit, contact an attorney. An experienced attorney reviews all factors involved in the accident and determines the applicable laws that set the deadline to file claims.
Don’t Wait to Contact an Attorney Regarding Your Injury Claim
Contacting an attorney as soon as possible after your car accident is important for several reasons. First, you don’t want to miss the deadline to file a personal injury claim. However, there are other benefits of hiring an attorney to handle your accident claim.
The benefits of hiring an attorney include:
- Investigates the accident, including taking witness statements, gathering evidence, and determining fault;
- Gathers documents and evidence prove the severity of your injuries;
- Works with you to document your financial losses and other damages to maximize compensation for an injury claim;
- Consults with experts, when necessary, to establish the cause of the crash and gather evidence proving the other driver caused the crash;
- Work with medical experts and financial experts to calculating the maximum value of future damages, including loss of income and ongoing medical care;
- Handles filing the insurance claim and negotiating with the insurance provider for settlement; and,
- Prepares and files a personal injury lawsuit, if necessary, to protect your legal rights.
Additionally, having an attorney on your side gives you a legal team to provide guidance and support as you fight for fair compensation after a car accident.
Contact a Sacramento Car Accident Attorney For a Free Case Review
After being injured in a car accident, you need a trusted legal advocate to help you protect your best interests. Contact The Tiemann Law Firm at (916) 999-9000 or by visiting our website to schedule a free consultation with one of our Sacramento car accident lawyers.