HOLIDAY SAFETY TIPS FOR KIDS FROM OUR SACRAMENTO CHILD INJURY LAWYERS
Posted on Friday, November 24th, 2017 at 11:00 pm
The holidays are a wonderful time to be a child. From being out of school and receiving gifts to spending time with family and friends, the holidays delight and thrill children of all ages. However, the holidays can also be dangerous for children for several reasons. Below are safety tips for the holidays from our child injury lawyers to help reduce the risk of injury to your child.
With children out of school for the holidays and more drivers on the road running holiday errands, the chance of a pedestrian accident can be higher this time of year. If you are driving near parks, neighborhoods, or other areas where children may gather, be extra cautious and watch for children walking, playing, and riding bicycles. Avoid distractions and remain alert because a child can dart into the road without notice.
As a parent, you can help reduce the risk of a pedestrian accident by:
- Always hold hands with your child when walking, especially in parking lots which tend to be very busy during this time each year.
- Remind teen drivers to be alert during the holiday season.
- If your child rides his or her bicycle, make sure your child wears protective gear, has reflectors on the bicycle, and rides in an area that is not near traffic.
- Avoid walking at dusk or dawn when it is more difficult for drivers to see you or your child.
Holiday Safety Tips at Home
During the holidays, there are many more hazards that can cause your child to be injured. Some things to remember include:
- Decorate your tree with “kid-friendly” decorations if you have young children. Avoid decorations that are breakable or have small parts. Angel hair can be very dangerous for small children.
- Check Christmas lights for loose connections and frayed wires.
- Never burn candles where children can reach them. Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children. Always blow out candles when leaving your home or going to sleep.
- When wrapping gifts, make sure that you keep scissors, bows, ribbons, and other items that can cause harm out of the reach of children.
- Holiday plants such as holly, mistletoe, poinsettias and Jerusalem cherry are poisonous. Keep these plants away from children who might eat the berries or leaves.
- When buying holiday gifts, check to make sure that the gifts are age-appropriate. Some toys can be dangerous for young children, such as toys with small parts that can pose choking hazards.
- Keep batteries away from young children who might put the batteries in their mouths.
- Keep pot handles turned inward on the stove, put hot foods out of reach, and make sure knives and other dangerous items are secured.
You can find more safety tips for the holidays on the websites for Healthy Children and Parents.
Sacramento Child Injury Attorneys
We wish everyone a safe and enjoyable holiday season. However, if your child is injured because of another person’s negligence or carelessness, our Sacramento child injury lawyers are here to help.
For a free legal consultation, call The Tiemann Law Firm at (916) 999-9000 or visit our website. Our law firm serves clients in Sacramento, Folsom, Roseville, El Dorado Hills and other communities in the greater Sacramento area.