HOLIDAY DRIVING TIPS FROM OUR SACRAMENTO CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS
Posted on Wednesday, November 22nd, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Many people travel for the holidays. If you are one of those families who will be on the road this holiday season, our Sacramento car accident attorneys offer several tips that can reduce the risk of a car accident and make your road trip safer and more enjoyable for everyone.
Are You Taking a Road Trip for the Holidays?
If you are going on a road trip for the holidays or simply driving across town, these driving tips can help you reduce the risk of being involved in a traffic accident:
- Leave earlier than you need to leave to arrive at your destination. Traffic can be very heavy around the holidays. You should expect traffic jams and delays. By leaving early, you will not feel pressured to drive recklessly to “make up time.”
- Plan an alternate route to your destination in case of a traffic jam or accident.
- Make sure that you keep your gas tank at least one-half full. You could find yourself stranded or stuck in traffic.
- Have your vehicle inspected before you leave on your road A well-maintained vehicle can decrease the risk of a car accident.
- Make sure everyone is secured in a safety belt or child safety seat.
- Place the information for roadside assistance in your glove compartment in case you need to call them from the side of the road.
- Place a first aid kit and an emergency supplies kit in your vehicle. Your kit should include flares, jumper cables, water, protein snacks, portable cell phone charger, and other items you might need in an emergency.
- Get a good night’s sleep the night before you leave. Do not drive while fatigued or drowsy.
- Never drive while impaired by alcohol or drugs.
- Before you leave, check the weather along your route so that you do not run into unexpected weather conditions.
- Take regular breaks along your route. Taking breaks can help you remain focused and alert while driving.
- Reduce distractions while driving so you can remain focused on the traffic and the road ahead.
Are You Traveling with Children?
Children are usually excited about road trips for about the first 30 minutes. After the initial excitement wears off, children can become bored very quickly on a long road trip. Things that you can do to help ease that boredom and make the ride better for you and your children include:
- Make sure to bring healthy snacks for the car.
- Have a small pillow and blanket for each child for naps.
- Put together a special “kit” for each child that includes some favorite activities such as books, crayons, coloring books, small handheld games, etc.
- Give each child a disposable camera to take pictures during the road trip of interesting things outside of the vehicle.
- For long road trips, consider installing a portable DVD player to watch holiday movies or favorite movies.
- Pack travel games that your kids can play to keep them engaged in what is going on outside of the vehicle, such as license tag bingo.
For more tips and suggestions, visit the Parents website.
Sacramento Car Accident Attorneys
We wish everyone a safe and enjoyable holiday season. If you or your family members are injured in a car accident, we want you to know that we will be here for you. Our Sacramento car accident attorneys offer free consultations to accident victims and their families.