HEAT-RELATED ILLNESSES AT CALIFORNIA STATE FAIR
Posted on Monday, July 17th, 2017 at 11:32 pm
Fox40 News reported that 12 to 24 people had to be treated for heat-related illnesses at the State Fair in the first few days. The triple digit temperatures are brutal for those attending the fair. The State Fair runs from July 14 through July 30 in Sacramento. Common heat-related illnesses include heat stroke, heat exhaustion, heat cramps, sun burn, and heat rash.
Because the hot weather is expected throughout the fair, those attending should take precautions against heat-related illnesses. One way is to take advantage of some of the 14 air-conditioned buildings on the premises. Cal Expo has also added additional shaded seating areas, fans, and misters.
Tips for Avoiding Heat-Related Illnesses
When you are at the State Fair in Sacramento, working outdoors, or participating in other outdoor activities, there are things you can do to avoid becoming ill from the heat.
- Stay hydrated — drink plenty of fluids, especially water. Keep water with you throughout the day and drink it often. Stay away from alcoholic drinks and sugary drinks.
- Pace yourself — take breaks and do not overdo things.
- Wear sunscreen — You can burn quickly when you are in the sunshine. Wear sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat. Protect yourself from sunburn injuries by reapplying sunscreen regularly throughout the day.
- Avoid heavy meals — eat light, frequent snacks or meals if you are going to be in the heat all day.
- Monitor high-risk individuals (i.e. children, infants, people over 65 years of age, and people with medical conditions such as heart disease and high blood pressure)
- If you take medications, check the side effects for any heat-related restrictions.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that allows your skin to “breathe.” Some fabrics wick water away from your skin and can be very comfortable when you are spending time outside in hot weather.
You can develop a heat-related illness very quickly. Knowing the signs of these illnesses can give you time to seek medical assistance before the condition becomes life-threatening.
Know the Signs of Heat-Related Illnesses
To protect yourself and your family, you need to know and watch for the signs of heat-related illnesses. While some illnesses share the same symptoms, there are a few that have specific symptoms. Call for medical assistance immediately and follow the guidelines offered by the Centers for Disease Control.
Personal Injury Attorneys Serving the Greater Sacramento Community
An injury can happen without any warning and cause great physical and financial harm. When the injury is caused by the negligent, careless, or reckless act of another person, you are entitled to receive compensation for your injuries. A personal injury attorney can help you recover compensation for your damages including your lost wages, physical pain, medical bills, and emotional suffering.
Contact The Tiemann Law Firm at (916) 999-9000 to schedule your free legal consultation with a personal injury attorney. Our law firm serves clients in Sacramento, Folsom, Roseville, El Dorado Hills and other communities in the greater Sacramento area.
Source: “Several People Treated for Heat-Related Illnesses at State Fair,” by Sara Zendehnam, Fox40, July 15, 2017