FIVE THINGS YOU MUST NEVER DO AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT
Posted on Monday, April 11th, 2016 at 12:30 am
We spend a great deal of time discussing what you should do immediately after a car accident and in the days and weeks to come. We discuss how you must seek medical attention because your health should be your first priority. We also discuss how important it is to document the accident scene and gather information before at the accident scene, if possible.
Finally, we discuss how important it is to contact an experienced car accident attorney as soon as you can to protect your right to receive compensation for your damages. However, there are some things that you should never do after a car accident.
The Don’ts of Car Accidents
- DON’T leave the scene of the accident. If you are involved in a car accident never leave the scene before the police arrive. If the police do not come to the accident scene, never leave without exchanging information with the other driver. You can be charged with hit-and-run (a criminal charge) for leaving the scene of an accident.
- DON’T get angry. Stay calm. Yelling, cussing, and accusing the other driver of causing the accident will only add to the tense, chaotic, and highly emotional atmosphere of an accident scene. It is easy to give into the highly charged, emotional atmosphere after an accident when you are confused, shaken up, and frustrated but fight the urge. Your actions immediately following an accident can impact a personal injury lawsuit. Stay calm, avoid showing signs of rage, and avoid using obscenities.
- DON’T apologize or admit fault. It is human nature to say “I’m sorry” when we are involved in a car accident. However, saying you are sorry can be interpreted as an admission of guilt. Never admit fault even if you believe you are at fault until you have met with an attorney. You may be able to receive partial compensation even if you are partially at fault for a car accident.
- DON’T communicate with the other driver’s insurance company or attorneys. You should never provide a statement, recorded or written, without first meeting with a Sacramento car accident attorney. You should never sign a medical release or other documents without first meeting with an attorney. You could be providing the insurance company with exactly what it needs to deny your claim. It is in your best interest to consult with an attorney before doing anything — it is free to talk to our attorneys about your car accident.
- DON’T settle a car accident claim without an attorney. The same applies to a settlement as it does a statement or release — consult with an attorney FIRST. Insurance companies love to offer low amounts to settle a case quickly before you can speak with an attorney. Do not make this mistake, especially when it does not cost you anything to talk to one of our attorneys.