DO’S AND DON’TS FOR HIT AND RUN ACCIDENTS IN SACRAMENTO
Posted on Tuesday, July 24th, 2018 at 4:01 am
During 2015, the OTS reports that Sacramento County had 783 hit and run accidents and ranked 6th out of 58 counties for hit and run accidents. Sadly, the reasons for hit and run crashes vary and include drunk drivers, suspended licenses, uninsured drivers, and aggressive driving. Whatever the reason, the driver who leaves the scene of an accident may still be held liable for damages. However, if the driver is not located, you may recover compensation from your insurance company under an uninsured insurance policy.
The Sacramento hit and run accident attorneys of The Tiemann Law Firm want to help you recover compensation for your injuries from a hit and run crash. Contact our office for a free consultation with one of our lawyers to discuss how we can help you file an injury claim.
Hit and Run Accident Don’ts
There are several things that you should not do after a hit and run accident. First and foremost, do not attempt to chase down the other vehicle. You could be placing yourself and others in more danger. Instead, follow the information contained in the section below about what you should DO after a hit and run crash.
In addition, other things that you should not do after a hit and run accident include:
- DON’T leave the scene of the accident. Instead, wait for police to arrive to file a report.
- DON’T forget to seek medical attention. It is important that you document your injuries in addition to documenting the accident.
- DON’T place yourself in greater harm by leaving your vehicle in the center of traffic. Move to a safe location on the side of the road to contact the police.
- DON’T forget to follow up with the police officer periodically for information on the hit and run investigation.
- DON’T hesitate to contact an attorney to discuss your case and how an attorney can help you file a claim.
Hit and Run Accident Do’s
It can be overwhelming dealing with a hit and run accident. Therefore, some of the things you need to do immediately after the accident include:
- ALWAYS call 911 to report the accident and follow the operator’s instructions.
- TRY TO make a note of the license plate number, make, model, and color of the other vehicle.
- DO ask for the names and contact information for any eyewitnesses at the accident scene.
- DO take photographs of your vehicle and your injuries to document your damages. Meticulous photographs and video of the damage to your vehicle before it is repaired may assist law enforcement in matching damage to a suspect’s vehicle.
- DO contact our office for a free consultation with a Sacramento attorney. We include this in both lists because it is crucial that you receive experienced legal counsel from a Sacramento hit and run accident attorney to protect your rights after a hit and run
Contact Our Sacramento Hit and Run Accident Lawyer
It does not mean you cannot recover compensation for injuries just because you do not know the name of the driver who hit your vehicle. Our Sacramento hit and run accident attorneys have experience handling this type of car accident claim.