DO’S AND DON’TS FOR A SACRAMENTO ACCIDENT CLAIM
Posted on Tuesday, September 4th, 2018 at 4:02 am
Have you been injured in a traffic accident? Did you fall and hurt yourself in a commercial establishment? Has your child suffered a dog bite or pool accident? Did a defective product cause an injury? Were you injured in a boat accident? Have you been told you may have a valid accident claim?
The above questions have something in common. The incidents may involve an injury caused by another person or party. Under California’s personal injury laws, you can recover compensation for damages if another person causes an injury. However, you must prove the elements of a personal injury claim before you can recover compensation. An accident claim can be complex. Therefore, you want to prepare a strong case for maximum compensation. In addition, it is important to remember that the things you do after an injury can significantly impact the outcome of an accident claim.
Our Sacramento personal injury lawyers work closely with clients during the process of filing an accident claim. We provide support, guidance, and legal advice throughout the case. During your free consultation, we will discuss many aspects of your case, including some steps you should take and some steps you should avoid. Below are a few of the do’s and don’ts of an accident claim we review with you during your consultation.
Things You Should Do After an Accidental Injury
- DO see a doctor and follow the treatment plan. Failing to follow a treatment plan can hurt your chances of recovery.
- DO read all letters we send to you and respond promptly to requests to avoid delays.
- DO tell the truth. We need to know everything, regardless of whether you think it will help or hurt your case.
- DO stay in communication with our legal team and notify us of any changes.
- DO ask as many questions as necessary. We want you to feel comfortable with the process and be clear about your legal rights and responsibilities.
- DO keep a record of all expenses related to the accident, your injury, and your recovery.
Things You Should Avoid Doing After an Accidental Injury
- DON’T talk to the insurance company, attorney, or other representative for the other party.
- DON’T sign any documents without consulting with your attorney first.
- DON’T discuss your accident claim with others, including family and friends. These people could be witnesses for the defense in a trial.
- DON’T use social media or post online. If you are going to use social media, discuss things you should avoid posting with your attorney.
Contact a Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer for More Information
When another party causes an injury, that party can be held liable for damages. In addition to compensation for your medical expenses and lost wages, you could receive compensation for your pain and suffering. Our Sacramento personal injury lawyers fight for your legal right to receive fair and just compensation for your damages. Because insurance adjusters represent the insurance company’s best interest, we encourage you to consult with one of our attorneys before agreeing to any settlement.