DEFENSIVE DRIVING TIPS THAT MAY HELP YOU AVOID A CAR ACCIDENT
Posted on Monday, October 8th, 2018 at 4:34 am
According to California’s traffic records, 3,435 people were killed, and 254,561 people were injured in traffic accidents during 2015. Many of the accidents that occur on Sacramento roads are not preventable. However, there are some steps that you can take to help decrease the risk of being involved in a car accident.
Don’t Allow Yourself to be Distracted.
Distracted driving is a very common cause of car accidents. When a driver is distracted, he or she is more likely to cause an accident. While you cannot control what another driver may do behind the wheel, you can avoid distractions that could delay your reaction time or be the reason you cause a collision.
Obey the Speed Limit.
Maintaining a safe speed can reduce the risk of an accident by giving you additional time to react to the actions of other drivers. Driving at a slower speed may also reduce the risk of a severe or life-threatening injury in the event of a car accident. The time that you save by going 10 to 15 miles faster than the posted speed limit is not worth the risk associated with speeding.
Don’t Follow Too Closely.
Tailgating also increases your risk of being involved in an accident. Drivers may slam on the brakes suddenly or for no apparent reason at all. You need sufficient time to stop before colliding with the vehicle in front of you. Remember to allow additional space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you in poor weather conditions, such as fog or rain.
Other Safe Driving Tips.
Other safe driving tips that can help you keep yourself and your family safe on the road include:
- Always pull into traffic slowly.
- Be aware of blind spots and always check carefully before merging or pulling into traffic.
- Watch for children who may dart into the road, especially near schools, parks, playgrounds, and residential areas.
- Be careful backing up. Always look backward when backing up instead of trusting your mirrors or backup camera.
- Watch for drivers who may run red lights, stop signs, and yield signs.
- Keep at least one hand on the steering wheel.
- Avoid driving in the fast lane except for passing slower vehicles.
- Perform maintenance on your vehicle to keep it in top running condition, including replacing the tires, lights, and windshield wipers as necessary.
- Use extra caution when driving at night, especially when traveling in an unfamiliar area.
- Program your GPS before you leave home. If you need to reprogram the GPS, you should pull over to a safe location before attempting to enter the information.
- Avoid drowsy or fatigued driving.
- Don’t drive when you are angry because you are more likely to drive aggressively.
If you are involved in an accident, notify the police and request emergency services. It is always a good idea to be checked by a doctor as soon as possible after an accident. You could have injuries that you may not be aware of immediately after the crash.
Contact a Sacramento Car Accident Attorney for Help
For a free consultation with a Sacramento car accident attorney, contact The Tiemann Law Firm by calling (916) 999-9000 or by visiting our website.