Posted on Monday, June 27th, 2016 at 5:00 am
A fire truck had to use its crane to pull an SUV out of a residential pool in Elk Grove after a crash. A neighbor, Carol On, heard a loud metal clashing sound and went to investigate. She saw two stop signs knocked over and a large hole in her neighbor’s fence. With several other people, she ran to her neighbor’s back yard to find an SUV sinking in her neighbor’s pool.
On jumped into the pool and began fervently working to help the driver out of the vehicle. One of the neighbors pried open a back door so the driver could crawl out. The driver admitted he had been fasting and had a history of high blood pressure. Law enforcement is investigating to determine if a medical condition contributed to the accident. No one was home at the time of the crash and no one was injured.
A Car Crash Is Completely Unexpected
When you leave your home each day, you never expect to be in a car crash. You definitely do not expect a car to crash through your fence and into your pool but this is just what happened in this neighborhood. A car crash is completely unexpected and happens in a matter of seconds. There is no time to prepare and, in most cases, there is not time to avoid the accident.
Because we cannot control the actions of other drivers, it is important that we take every precaution we can to decease our risk of being injured in a car accident.
When you are driving, following these tips may help you avoid a car accident:
- Avoid Distractions: Distractions while driving is quickly becoming one of the most common reasons for motor vehicle accidents. You cannot prevent the other driver from driving while distracted but you can reduce your distractions. By focusing on the road ahead, you may have a few more seconds to act if a driver does something that may cause a collision. Those few seconds could make all the difference in avoiding a car accident.
- Slow Down and Obey All Traffic Laws: Speed plays a big role in motor vehicle accidents. The severity of injuries also increases with the speed of the vehicles. Slow down and obey all traffic laws to decrease your risk of being in a car accident. Traffic laws are designed to keep everyone safe.
- Increase Distance Between You and the Car in Front of You: Following too closely is another common reason for crashes. Putting more distance between you and the car in front of you gives you more time to react to avoid a collision.
- Avoid Drowsy or Fatigued Driving: Being tired or sleeping reduces your reaction time and increases your risk of being in a car accident. Avoid driving when you are tired or sleepy.
- Never Drive Drunk or Drugged: It is against the law! Even if your BAC is not above the legal limit, alcohol and drugs can still impair your ability to drive.
- Perform Routine Car Maintenance: Replace windshield wipers, rotate and replace tires, replace worn brakes, and replace burnt out light bulbs to keep your vehicle operating safely. A safe vehicle protects you and others on the road.
A Sacramento Car Accident Law Firm
The personal injury attorneys of Tiemann Law Firm are here to help you if you have been injured in a car accident in Sacramento. Call our office at (916) 999-9000 or chat with a representative on our website to schedule your free case evaluation.