COMMON SURFACES AND LOCATIONS FOR SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENTS
Posted on Wednesday, July 6th, 2016 at 5:26 am
Millions of people are injured in slip and fall accidents each year in the United States. Many of these falls occur at home; however, thousands of people are injured in accidents at work, at another person’s home, or on commercial property. When you are injured on another person’s property, you may have a claim under California’s premises liability laws.
If the owner of the property was negligent by allowing a dangerous condition to continue and you are injured, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your lost wages, medical bills, physical pain, and other damages.
Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
A slip and fall accident can occur anywhere; however, there are some common surfaces and locations where slip and fall accidents are more likely. Businesses and homeowners should be aware of these dangers and take steps to protect customers, visitors, and guests from injury due to a premises liability accident. Common causes for slip and fall accidents include:
- Broken, uneven, or poor walking surfaces (i.e. torn carpet, cracks in sidewalks, potholes, etc.)
- Slippery surfaces (i.e. spills, rain, waxing, etc.)
- Poor visibility and/or inadequate lighting
- Objects cluttering walkways
- Missing handrails, broken steps, and narrow stairs
Common Injuries in Slip and Fall Accidents
Many premises liability accidents result in serious injuries that prevent the slip and fall victim from performing his or her normal activities. For example, an 85 year old man was just awarded $1.6 million by an Oregon jury for a slip and fall case. He broke his femur when he fell because of spilled laundry detergent at a Safeway store. Attorneys argued that he was unable to engage in his standard activities because of ongoing problems with his leg.
A fall of any type can cause permanent damage. In addition to the bumps and bruises you receive in a slip and fall, common injuries we see in slip and fall cases include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – TBI and other head injuries are common in falls. When your head strikes a hard surface, the damage can be catastrophic. You do not need to have a penetrating head injury for the damage to be permanent and severe. Any head injury should be checked thoroughly by a medical professional. Symptoms are often overlooked or dismissed as minor until they increase in severity. Brain injuries can result in the need for ongoing medical care and long-term personal care.
- Fractures and Sprains – Fractures and sprains are common slip and fall injuries, especially for senior citizens. Even though a broken bone may heal, it could leave the victim with permanent disabilities that prevent him from doing the same things he did before the accident.
- Back, Neck, and Spinal Cord Injuries – Injures to these areas of the body can range from mild to debilitating. A slip and fall victim can be paralyzed or suffer permanent chronic pain.
Regardless of the severity of the injury, you deserve to be compensated for your damages, losses, and injuries. An experienced Sacramento personal injury attorney can help.
Sacramento Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
Contact Tiemann Law Firm by calling (916) 999-9000 or chat with a representative on our website to schedule your free legal consultation. Our premises liability attorneys are here to help you and your family receive a fair and full settlement for your injuries.