Posted on Friday, August 19th, 2016 at 5:36 am
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, motorcycle fatalities increased in California by 12.1 percent from 2013 to 2014 (462 in 2013 to 519 in 2014). Nationwide, 4,586 motorcyclists were killed during 2014 in motorcycle crashes. It is estimated that motorcycle accidents cost over $12 billion each year in damages.
Facts About The Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
According to “The Hurt Report” released by the Traffic Safety Center of the University of Southern California, a review of motorcycle crashes revealed the following statistics:
- Collisions with other vehicles accounted for approximately three-fourths of the motorcycle crashes examined
- A vehicle malfunction only accounted for three percent of the motorcycle crashes
- Roadway defects or hazards only accounted for two percent of the motorcycle crashes
- In two-thirds of the accidents involving another vehicle, the other vehicle failed to yield the right-of-way to the motorcyclist
- Intersections were the most common sight for a motorcycle crash
- In a typical motorcycle crash, the motorcyclist only has two seconds to take evasive action
- The risk of injury to the motorcyclist is high in a crash — 98 percent of the crashes examined that involved multiple vehicles resulted in injuries to the motorcyclist
Regardless of the cause of your motorcycle crash, you deserve to be compensated for your injuries if the collision was caused by another person or entity. You should not be required to bear the financial burden caused by a motorcycle accident alone. Our Sacramento motorcycle accident attorneys can help you recover the compensation you are entitled to receive under California’s personal injury laws.
What Should I Do If I Am Injured In A Motorcycle Crash?
Your health and well-being is your first priority. Seek immediate medical attention for your injuries. Even if you do not believe you were seriously injured in the crash, you could be suffering from internal injuries. Without treatment, these injuries could lead to life-threatening conditions.
Your second priority is protecting your legal rights. The best way to protect your legal rights is to consult with an experienced Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer. Motorcycle accidents have different issues from other traffic accidents. An experienced attorney understands how to handle the complex issues that arise in most motorcycle accident claims.
For example, insurance companies often want to blame the motorcyclist for the accident, regardless of the actual reason for the collision. Companies play on the unfair and untrue stereotypes of riders being reckless and careless. If the insurance company is even partly successful in blaming the rider for partial fault for the collision, the amount of compensation the rider receives for his or her damages is decreased. Our motorcycle accident attorneys understand these tactics and they know how to fight these tactics to protect your right to recover full compensation for your damages.
Have You Been Injured In A Motorcycle Cash?
Contact the motorcycle accident lawyers of the Tiemann Law Firm at (916) 999-9000 or chat with a representative on our website to schedule a free case evaluation. The first step in protecting your recovery is to meet with one of our attorneys. We offer free case evaluations so accident victims can get the advice they need to protect their rights as they struggle to recover from life-altering injuries.