CHILD INJURIES — DO YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO IF YOUR CHILD IS INJURED?
Posted on Monday, January 13th, 2020 at 5:58 am
A car accident, fall, medical malpractice, dog bite, or defective product can cause your child to be seriously injured. In some cases, child injuries can result in permanent disabilities that significantly impact a child’s future and quality of life. If your child is injured, medical treatment is the first priority. However, you should also discuss your case with a Sacramento child injury attorney. An attorney can help you protect your child’s legal right to fair compensation for injuries caused by another party’s negligence and wrongdoing.
Steps to Take If Your Child is Injured
Child injuries need to be treated seriously, regardless of the severity of the injury. Complications and infections from a minor injury could result in lifelong health conditions. Therefore, seeing a doctor is the top priority. Make sure that the doctor understands that the injury is related to an accident or other wrongdoing. Your doctor notates in the medical record the cause of the injury, which can help when you are ready to file a personal injury claim for child injuries.
Reporting the Injury
You also need to report the injury as soon as possible to the applicable parties. In the event of a car crash, call 911 to request police and emergency services. Dog bites should be reported to the dog’s owner and local animal control authorities. Other injuries may need to be reported and a claim filed with government agencies, property owners, or government agencies. A Sacramento child injury lawyer can help you determine what parties need to be notified of the injury.
Follow Up and Legal Advice
Do not allow your child to make statements regarding the accident or injury to insurance adjusters or parties representing the at-fault party. You should also avoid discussing the incident with an insurance provider until you have met with a California personal injury attorney. Written or recorded statements can work against you.
Make sure that you follow up with your child’s doctor and follow the treatment plan. Insurance companies use delays in medical treatment or failure to treat injuries as a reason to deny valid claims for child injuries.
When your child is stable, contact our Sacramento child injury lawyers to discuss the next steps you need to take. Hiring an attorney to handle your child’s claim allows you to focus your full attention on your child’s health and wellbeing.
How Can a Sacramento Child Injury Lawyer Help My Child?
An attorney can help you in numerous ways, including but not limited to:
- Assisting you in obtaining medical care or referrals, if needed.
- Investigate the injury and accident to gather evidence proving fault and liability.
- Identify all parties who may have potential liability for your child’s injury.
- Work with your child’s physicians to gather evidence proving the severity of the injuries and your child’s prognosis.
- File an insurance claim with each insurance company that might have potential liability for a claim.
- Work with various experts, including medical experts, accident reconstructionists, economists, and others to build the strongest case possible for full compensation.
- Calculate the value of your child’s injury claim based on financial losses, physical pain, emotional suffering, and future damages.
- Negotiate with insurance companies and other parties for settlement of the claim.
- File a personal injury lawsuit, if necessary, to protect your child’s best interests.
Our personal injury lawyers in Sacramento work diligently to hold parties responsible for child injuries liable for their errors, negligence, and wrongdoing.
Contact Our Sacramento Child Injury Lawyers for a Free Case Review
If your child has been injured, we want to help. Contact The Tiemann Law Firm by calling (916) 999-9000 to schedule a free legal consultation with one of our child injury attorneys in Sacramento.