DO YOU BELIEVE THESE MYTHS ABOUT SACRAMENTO PERSONAL INJURY CLAIMS?
Posted on Wednesday, October 4th, 2017 at 6:22 pm
If you have never had to file a personal injury claim, you may have several misconceptions about the process of filing a claim. It is very easy to become overwhelmed by the negative information circulating about how to file a personal injury claim. Therefore, it is very important that you understand the facts about personal injury claims and your legal rights to recover money for your injuries and losses after being hurt. Our Sacramento personal injury lawyers can help. Call at (916) 999-9000 for a free appointment and no-obligation case evaluation.
What are Personal Injury Claims?
When another party injures you, you are entitled to recover money for your injuries, loses, and damages. This compensation is intended to reimburse you for your lost wages, property damage, medical expenses, and other out-of-pocket financial costs related to the accident. However, you are also entitled to seek compensation for non-economic losses. These losses are often referred to as “pain and suffering” damages. Examples of non-economic damages in a personal injury claim include physical pain, scarring, emotional suffering, permanent disability, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of marital relations.
Each case is different; therefore, the types and amounts of compensation you might receive are different from another person’s case. You cannot base your recovery for an accident claim on the settlement in any other case. Therefore, do not assume that you will receive nothing or very little if your friend or family member’s settlement was very low. You should consult with our Sacramento personal injury attorney before you assume anything.
Examples of the types of cases that often result in an accident claim include:
- Premises liability claims (slip and fall cases)
- Motor vehicle accidents, including motorcycles, trucks, and cars
- Pedestrian accidents
- Product liability claims
- Bicycle accidents
- Animal attacks and dog bites
- Medical malpractice claims
If another party has injured you, it is important to learn about your legal rights from an attorney with experience handling personal injury claims. California’s statute of limitations restricts your time to file a lawsuit, do not delay talking to an attorney.
Have You Heard These Myths?
- Personal Injury Claims Take Forever to Settle — Some cases might take a year or even several years to settle. However, those claims usually involve complex issues, severe injuries, wrongful death, and/or complicated litigation. Actually, the driving factor in how long a claim takes to settle is your recovery. You never want to settle a claim until you have recovered fully from your injuries, so you know the full extent of your damages.
- Personal Injury Lawyers Just Want to Make Money — Personal injury attorneys do earn a fee for their services. However, most cases are accepted on a contingency fee basis.. Therefore, if we do not recover money for your claim, you do not pay our attorney fees.
- It is Easy to Get Money When You Have Been Injured — Even in cases where the other party is clearly liable, it can be difficult to settle a claim with an insurance company. Some insurance providers fight even the simplest, clearest case of negligence. Because attorneys offer a free consultation, it never hurts to talk to an attorney to make sure that you are receiving a fair and just settlement.