5 Tips for Avoiding a Truck Accident this Summer
Posted on Friday, July 30th, 2021 at 9:00 am
It’s summertime and for many people, that means a vacation that requires highway driving. One of the most stressful parts of highway driving is how to safely share the road with big trucks. An accident involving a car and a truck is almost always more serious than those between two cars due to the size and speed of a truck as well as the cargo it’s hauling. Protect yourself and your family this summer by following a few simple tips that can reduce your risk of being involved in a truck accident.
- Don’t sit in a truck’s blind spot. When you look at the truck driver’s side mirror and you can’t see his face then know that he can’t see you.
- Pass quickly and safely. Always pass on the left and once you see you have enough room and a clear opportunity take it. The goal is to avoid driving alongside a truck any longer than necessary. By doing so you’ll reduce your risk of being caught by a tire blowout, swerving, rollover, and other truck problems. Make sure you can pull far ahead of the truck as well. Big trucks require way more time to slow down or stop so never cut it close when passing.
- Keep a greater distance. Allow more room between you and the truck that you’re following than you would a car. It’s usually impossible to see what’s in front of a truck so sudden slowdowns may catch you off guard. Extra space will give you more time and options to react.
- Pull off the road. If you need to make an emergency stop on the highway, look for a place where the shoulder is wide and flat and pull as far off as you can. Being too close to the shoulder line leaves you vulnerable to being sideswiped by a passing truck.
- Use your signals. Give truckers plenty of notice if you plan to change lanes or exit. Again, their size makes it more difficult for them to adjust speed to compensate for the moves a car is making in front of them.
Wishing you and your family safe travels this summer!
Have you or a loved one been a victim of a DUI, car, truck, or motorcycle accident, dog attack, or a slip and fall incident? If so Tiemann Law Firm can help. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free, same-day consultation by calling: (916) 999-9000 or toll-free: (800) 712-2000.