10 Ways to Detect a Troubled Driver
Posted on Wednesday, May 5th, 2021 at 9:00 am
Studies have shown that one of the most effective ways to prevent a car accident is to drive predictively – that is, to look on at your neighboring drivers and stay “two steps ahead” to predict what their next move might be. This sounds akin to mind reading which, as we all know, is not possible. So how can it be done?
As it turns out, predictive driving is less like mind reading and more like figuring out what the cars and trucks around you might do. You must essentially predict the future and have positive responses and actions ready to prevent a crash if the other driver does what you predicted. This is especially true when someone’s driving patterns are giving off red flags that they might be in distress, impaired, or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
We have 10 ways to detect a troubled driver and avoid an unnecessary car accident:
- The vehicle is making wide, or wobbly turns.
- They’re weaving, swerving, drifting, or straddling the center line or break-down lane.
- The driver has almost hit an object or another vehicle one or more times.
- They’re blatantly driving on the wrong side of the road or in the break-down lane entirely.
- Their speed is abnormally slow or accelerating at odd intervals.
- The driver hits their breaks randomly, especially when there is nothing immediately in view to make breaking necessary.
- Their car stops entirely at an inappropriate place and time.
- The driver is responding poorly to traffic signs and signals or is ignoring them entirely.
- They’re making sudden and abrupt turns, and one or more of those turns were made illegally.
- The driver is driving after dark with their headlights off.
Even if the driver in question doesn’t seem to give off more than one of these 10 red flags, trust your instincts and avoid them at all costs. Slow down, take a detour, pull over, and wait for them to pass or get far enough ahead that they’re no longer a concern for your own safety.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a car accident, you need an attorney that is strong, successful, and trusted. Tiemann Law Firm, Sacramento personal injury lawyers are here to help. Contact us today at (916) 999-9000 to schedule your free consultation.