Facts about Motorcycle Accidents
Posted on Wednesday, February 16th, 2022 at 9:00 am
One of the advantages of living in California is mild weather year-round—a big draw for those who love to ride motorcycles. A greater number of riders with fewer down days due to weather may also be the reason why in 2016, California recorded 566 motorcyclists killed in accidents, the highest fatality rate of any state for that year according to the Governor’s Highway Safety Association. Across the nation, however, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that motorcycle fatalities occurred nearly 28 times more frequently than passenger car fatalities. Here are some other facts about motorcycle accidents that you should know if you are a rider or a driver sharing the road with motorcyclists:
- Insurance adjusters will sometimes offer victims of motorcycle accidents lowball settlements because they wrongly see motorcyclists as reckless daredevils or rule breakers.
- Common causes of motorcycle accidents include failure to check blind spots, car doors opening, speeding, left-turn crashes, lane splitting, impaired driving, construction hazards, and distracted driving.
- California state law requires all motorcycle drivers to obtain a valid Class M1 motorcycle license. All drivers and passengers are required to always wear a helmet on the road.
- California passed a law in 2016 that made it the only state in the country to make lane splitting legal.
- Motorcycle injuries, especially those from crashes involving cars are often quite serious as a 500-pound bike is no match for a 3,000-pound car. Common injuries include concussion, traumatic brain injury, spinal injuries, paralysis, neck injury, bone fractures, internal bleeding, and organ damage.
- Damages for a victim of a motorcycle accident can be awarded for current and future medical expenses, lost wages and loss of future earning capacity, property damage, pain and suffering, disfigurement, loss of companionship, and emotional distress.
- Hiring an attorney experienced in handling motorcycle accidents is your best bet for getting the compensation you are entitled to after a crash.
Have you or a loved one been a victim of a DUI, car, truck, or motorcycle accident, dog attack, or a slip and fall incident? If so, Tiemann Law Firm can help. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free, same-day consultation by calling: (916) 999-9000 or toll-free: (800) 712-2000.