The 100 Deadliest Days
Posted on Wednesday, June 8th, 2022 at 8:54 am
We’ve officially entered the 100 Deadliest Days of the year—between Memorial Day and Labor Day, when there is a serious increase in fatal car crashes, especially among teenage drivers. Other factors associated with summer also conspire to raise the number of car accidents, including:
- More drivers on the road for summer travels and activities (some of whom won’t know where they are going and might be lost)
- More bicyclists (many of them children) and motorcycle riders on the road
- Greater number of road construction projects during the warm weather
- Barbecues, summer picnics, and other social occasions increase the possibility of drivers on the road while under the influence of alcohol.
Why are teens at such high risk for being in and causing accidents? First of all, they are out of school, which means more time and opportunity to be on the road. They are also less experienced drivers and highly susceptible to distractions from passengers in their cars to cell phones and other electronic devices.
Educating teens on the responsibilities and dangers of being on the road is key, and many towns and schools have programs designed specifically for this purpose. Teens are often asked to sign a pledge committing to not engaging in risky driving behaviors such as not wearing a seatbelt, using their cell phones, and drinking alcohol.
How can you protect yourself and your family during this hazardous season on the road? A few suggestions:
- Build extra time into your summer travel schedule
- Drop your speed to allow extra reaction time for unexpected situations
- Be extra vigilant of what’s going on around you
In Case of an Accident
Know what to do if a motor vehicle accident occurs. Always call 911 to get help on the way, and don’t leave the scene until it arrives, even if you think the accident is minor. If possible, take photos and collect contact information. Call an experienced attorney to help you sort out your rights and options.
We wish everyone a safe and happy summer!
Have you or a loved one been a victim of a DUI, car, truck or motorcycle accident, dog attack, or a slip and fall incident? If so, Tiemann Law Firm can help. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free, same-day consultation by calling (916) 999-9000.