Posted on Wednesday, March 30th, 2022 at 10:00 am
Did you know that the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit for an injury resulting from a car accident in California is two years? That means that the clock starts ticking on the day of the accident and if you do not file a claim for an accident injury by the deadline your case will almost certainly be dismissed, and you will lose your chance to recover any compensation for your expenses through the court system. What else is involved when filing a suit and getting the damages you deserve if you’ve been injured in a car accident?
Start with Experienced Counsel
Chances are, if you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle crash you are already dealing with several stressors: pain and discomfort, medical procedures, bill payments, loss of wages, and concern for the future. An expert attorney can help cut through the confusion and assist you in understanding your options and then pursuing the correct course for your case. Some steps your attorney will take include:
- Determining if all the elements of a lawsuit are present to successfully pursue your case. That involves looking at all the evidence to ascertain whether the other driver was negligent and what factors played in your injuries.
- Collecting evidence for your case.
- Calculating the damages you are owed currently and what may be necessary to continue your care and the care of your family and compensate for losses in the future.
- Informing the at-fault party that the victim intends to recover damages and filing a claim with the court.
- Negotiating a fair settlement.
- Representing you at a trial if the case is not settled out of court.
You may also decide to go through the insurance company to recover compensation after a crash and your attorney can help negotiate the terms of your settlement while protecting your rights. Remember, insurance is a business, and the insurance company will be looking to settle for the least amount of money with a minimal amount of hassle. Your attorney will help you file your claim with the insurance company, work with adjusters and get you fair compensation for your injuries.
An attorney can take the guesswork and the stress out of planning the best course of action for your unique case and ensuring that all deadlines and legal protocols are properly followed.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident in Sacramento or the surrounding areas, including Folsom, Citrus Heights, or Rocklin, contact Tiemann Law Firm today to discuss your legal rights. Contact us today for a free, same-day consultation by calling: (916) 999-9000 or toll-free: (800) 712-2000.