Posted on Tuesday, December 12th, 2023 at 10:42 am
Determining liability in the aftermath of an accident can be an intense process, and that’s especially true in cases involving motorcycles. In addition to unfair stigmas that indiscriminately label motorcyclists as reckless daredevils, certain injuries, and complications that commonly result from motorcycle accidents can last a very long time, severely impairing those affected. Of these, the worst are often concussions, a form of traumatic brain injury.
Tiemann Law Firm is committed to getting results, but we also strive to treat our clients with the compassion and respect they are too often deprived of. Most who ride motorcycles are aware of the increased risk, and they drive accordingly. With that in mind, we want to provide some useful information for the many riders who have suffered a traumatic brain injury through no fault of their own.
Below, you’ll find a short primer on what to expect when it comes to motorcycle accidents and the concussions they often result in.
- When a passenger car collides with a much lighter motorcycle, the car and its driver tend to avoid the worst injuries, whereas the operator of the motorcycle isn’t so lucky.
- Concussions, a form of TBI, are characterized by the sudden jarring of the brain within the skull, and they can have lasting consequences on an individual’s cognitive and physical well-being.
- Falls are the most common cause of TBIs in the US.
Long Term Impacts
- Cognitive issues, such as memory loss, difficulty concentrating, or problems communicating.
- Physical impairments such as seizures, migraines, loss of bladder or bowel control, and migraines.
- Emotional problems like mood swings, depression, mania, anxiety, delusions, and hallucinations.
- Ongoing, onerous medical expenses that severely diminish quality of life.
- Dramatic loss of income and future earning capacity.
- An experienced attorney must review the facts of your case and clarify liability promptly.
- The nature of your brain injury must be ascertained in order to determine the compensation due.
- After a thorough overview of all the factors mentioned above, your attorney will often attempt to negotiate with the relevant insurance company.
- Although most of these cases are settled outside of court, sometimes negotiations do not proceed in good faith, or a settlement cannot be reached between litigators.
- At that point, you’ll need attorneys who know how to manage a trial to take your case to court.
Have you or a loved one been the victim of a motorcycle accident or suffered a traumatic brain injury because of a distracted driver? If so, Tiemann Law Firm can help. Our veteran personal injury attorneys will get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free, same-day consultation by calling (916) 999-9000 or toll-free: (800) 712-2000.