Posted on Monday, February 5th, 2024 at 2:51 pm
The only constant is change, or so the maxim goes. As it turns out, it’s a particularly relevant saying in the legal world, where changes to technology can shift the entire landscape of liability along with them. The Tiemann Law Firm wants to focus on two new developments in particular, with the end goal of keeping you in the know in case anything goes awry. That’s why this blog post will be all about e-bikes and dashcams and how they affect personal injury and car accident claims.
E-Bikes: Blurring the Lines
E-bikes, which feature assisted pedaling, often exceed the speed of traditional bicycles. However, they still share the road with cars. This ambiguity creates complexities in accident scenarios.
- Classification Confusion:Depending on motor power and speed, e-bikes can be categorized as bicycles, mopeds, or even motorcycles, each with distinct legal requirements and insurance mandates. Misclassification can significantly impact fault determination and compensation.
- Speed Concerns: Higher speeds increase the severity of crashes and potential liability when compared with typical bike accidents. Understanding e-bike capabilities and adhering to speed limits remains crucial for e-bike riders and motorists alike.
- Shared Responsibility: Accidents involving e-bikes often involve shared responsibility. Analyzing factors like traffic laws, negligence, and specific circumstances becomes crucial for fair liability assessment, and these can all vary based on where the incident in question took place.
- Frequent Injury: E-bikes and similar mobility devices are proving to be dangerous in terms of the likelihood of injury they present. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that injuries involving e-bikes and similar vehicles increased by nearly 21% from 2021 to 2022.
Dashcams: Capturing Evidence, Shaping Cases
Dashcams are increasingly capturing vital accident footage, providing tangible evidence for personal injury claims:
- Visual Proof: Recordings can objectively document accident events, clarify fault, demonstrate contributing factors, and contradict inaccurate versions of events.
- Enhanced Investigation: Footage can reveal crucial details like road conditions, traffic signals, and driver actions, aiding accident reconstruction and identifying potential witnesses.
- Claim Corroboration:Dashcam evidence can strengthen claims by solidifying victim testimony or countering fabricated narratives from at-fault parties.
You don’t have to face these changes alone; the Tiemann Law Firm can help. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free, same-day consultation by calling (916) 999-9000 or toll-free: (800) 712-2000.