Holiday Driving Dangers
Posted on Thursday, November 16th, 2023 at 11:41 am
The Thanksgiving holiday sees some of the highest numbers of drivers on the road each year. The sheer volume increase and the time crunch as drivers race to reach their destination on time for Turkey means an increased likelihood of car accidents.
Risks on the Road
Many accidents can be avoided through vigilance and evasive maneuvers. Some “accidents waiting to happen” to steer clear of include:
- Drowsy drivers—it’s common for drivers who have a long way to go to start early in the day or even attempt to drive through the night. Signs of a sleepy driver include erratic driving, sudden slowdowns and accelerations, driving through stop signs and red lights, and weaving in and out of their lane. Give these drivers a wide berth.
- Reckless antics—be on the lookout for aggressive drivers who switch lanes frequently, without a safe amount of room, and those who tailgate and speed. These drivers are often the cause of a crash.
- Changes in road conditions—depending on where you’re traveling, the weather can change rapidly, causing a slick coating on the road surface. Be alert to construction zones and changes in traffic patterns caused by them.
If, despite your best efforts, you do end up in an accident, remain calm and remember to take these steps:
- Call 911 immediately. The priority is to tend to the injuries of anyone involved in the accident.
- Don’t say sorry or talk about the accident with the other driver.
- If possible, take photos of the accident scene that show damage to the vehicles, road conditions, signage, and anything else that might be valuable.
- Get the insurance and contact info of the drivers involved in the crash and any witnesses who saw the accident.
- Contact an experienced attorney to help determine the next steps. If driver negligence was responsible for the crash, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries and property damage.
Have you or a loved one been a victim of a DUI, car, truck, motorcycle accident, dog attack, or a slip and fall incident? If so, Tiemann Law Firm can help. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free, same-day consultation by calling (916) 999-9000 or toll-free: (800) 712-2000.