5 Steps to Take After a Vacation Car Accident
Posted on Tuesday, July 5th, 2022 at 10:42 am
No one plans for a car accident to happen. It’s even more disconcerting when it occurs while you’re on vacation in an unfamiliar town or city. What to do after an accident occurs, however, is basically what you’d do if you were home with a few additional steps if you’re driving a rental car.
- Check for injuries—the most important concern after an accident is the safety and health of everyone involved. If anyone appears to be injured call 911 and request an ambulance and police. In most states reporting the accident is mandatory. The police can advise you what steps you need to take if you are out of state. If possible, move the car or cars involved safely out of traffic.
- Exchange contact info—get the names, addresses, emails and phone numbers of everyone involved in the accident. If there were any witness on the scene get their contact information as well. It may prove helpful for your case.
- Take pictures—record as many details of the accident as you can. Take pictures of the vehicles from multiple angles, the road, pertinent traffic signs, skid marks and anything else that will give a clearer picture of what happened. It’s also a good idea to make notes of what you recall happening while it’s fresh in your mind.
- Contact the car rental company—there should be a number to call on your rental agreement. Many companies also put a sticker inside the glove box if you can access it. The car rental company will tell you how to proceed. Additional paperwork will need to be filled out and they will also tell you what to do if the car is not drivable.
- Contact your own insurance company—you should inform your insurance company as well. Who pursues the claim can be complicated depending on the insurance coverage you’ve selected with the rental company, your own insurance and any other coverage you may have via the credit card you used to rent the car. An experienced attorney can be a help in sorting out your rights and responsibilities after an accident. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us for your free consultation.
Have you or a loved one been a victim of a DUI, car, truck, or motorcycle accident, dog attack, or a slip and fall incident? If so, Tiemann Law Firm can help. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free, same-day consultation by calling (916) 999-9000.