Posted on Friday, November 2nd, 2018 at 1:05 am
Many people use e-cigarettes because they enjoy the variety of flavors available. Other people vape as a way to quit smoking traditional cigarettes. However, they may not be aware that these devices could spontaneously catch fire or explode while in use. The problem involves the lithium-ion batteries used in these devices. Are some of these devices defective products?
Why are Lithium-Ion Batteries Used if They Are Dangerous?
In most cases, lithium-ion batteries are safe for use in devices designed for lithium-ion batteries. However, there have been reports of the batteries catching fire or causing an explosion. These incidents have caused serious injuries, including severe burns and damage to the mouth, face, and hand. In some cases, placing the device or battery in a pressurized area, such as the cargo area of a plane, causes the problem. For this reason, electronic cigarettes and vaping devices are only allowed in carry-on bags. You cannot include these items in checked bags because of the risk of fire and explosion.
When not used in a pressurized area, most e-cigarettes and vaping devices are safe. However, as with many popular devices, knockoff versions are available at a lower price. These items may not be manufactured correctly and could allow pressure to build up within the device causing a fire or explosion. When this happens, a fire, explosion, or parts that become projectiles because of the explosion could cause injuries.
Another issue that could cause a serious problem is the use of non-approved charging cords. These cords could overcharge the device causing a fire or explosion.
You can reduce the risk of injury from fire or explosion by:
- Only purchase vaping devices and e-cigarettes from authorized dealers for reputable manufacturers and companies.
- Charge the device with the cord supplied with the device.
- If you need to replace the battery in your e-cigarettes or vaping device, contact the manufacturer or company directly.
- Read and follow all manufacturer’s instructions for the safe use of e-cigarettes and vaping devices.
Did Defective Products Cause the Injuries?
All injuries caused by-products do not give rise to a product liability claim. However, if you can prove the following you may have a product liability claim:
- You have an injury and damages;
- The product was defective or lacked sufficient warnings and instructions for safe use; and,
- Your injuries were the direct result of the defect in the product, packaging, or warnings/instructions.
Therefore, if your e-cigarette or vaping device explodes and causes an injury, you could receive compensation for your injuries. An experienced Sacramento product liability attorney can review your case to determine if you have a valid claim.
Contact a Sacramento Defective Products Attorney Now!
If a product causes an injury, you need to contact an attorney as soon as possible. Do not destroy the product, its packaging or the instructions. Retain as much of the original packaging and the product as possible because it may be evidence in a defective product case.