Bicycle safety is a priority throughout the entire year, but it becomes more of an issue during the holiday season. Many parents may be considering a bicycle as a holiday gift for their children this year. Before purchasing that new bicycle, it might be a good idea to learn more about bicycle safety and bicycle accidents throughout California.
Bicycle Accidents in California
California is continually in the top two to three states for the most bicycle accidents and fatalities each year. During 2017, California had the second-highest number of bicycle fatalities in the nation. Based on a study in 2015, California had three cities in the Top 10 list of the most dangerous cities for cyclists. Unfortunately, the danger for cyclists in California is not a new trend. A review of bicycle accident data between 2007 and 2013 showed a twenty-one percent increase in bicycle list injury rates.
Common Injuries Caused by Bicycle Crashes
A bicyclist is that a high risk of serious and life-threatening injuries in a bicycle accident involving a motor vehicle, especially if the motor vehicle is a large truck or SUV. Bicyclists have no protection from injury in a collision with a vehicle. Bicycle helmets, knee pads, elbow pads comma, and other bicycle safety gear can reduce the risk of serious injury, but they often do not prevent injury when the accident involves a motor vehicle.
Common bicycle accident injuries include:
- Head and brain injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones and complex fractures
- Facial injuries
- Damage to internal organs and internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Neck, back, and shoulder injuries
- Abrasions, lacerations, and road rash
- Broken ankles, wrists, knees, and elbows
- Scarring and disfigurement
A bicyclist who suffers traumatic or catastrophic injuries in a bicycle accident can sustain permanent impairment or disabilities. The financial damages over a lifetime for permanent impairments can total millions of dollars.
It is impossible to place a price on the physical pain and emotional injuries caused by bicycle accidents. However, placing a price on these damages is the only way the legal system can attempt to compensate for a bicycle accident victim for the Wrongdoing of another party.
What is My Bicycle Accident Claim Worth?
The value of a bicycle accident claim depends on many factors, including the type of injury and the severity of the injury. A Sacramento bicycle accident attorney can review the evidence in your case to calculate the maximum value based on the circumstances and facts bicycle accident. Our legal team works closely with you in your doctors to document your injuries and damages to increase the chance that you receive full value for a bicycle accident claim.
Common types of damages included in a bicycle accident injury case are:
- The cost of medical treatment, including hospitalizations, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, personal care, medical equipment, etc.
- Loss income, including wages, bonuses, salaries, benefits, etc.
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Scarring, disfigurement, and permanent disabilities
- Other financial and noneconomic damages associated with the bicycle accident, your injuries, and your recovery
It is best to consult a Sacramento bicycle accident injury before accepting a settlement offer from an insurance company. The insurance company will attempt to settle the injury claim for as little as possible. An experienced attorney can review the case to ensure that all damage is have been included and valued within the settlement offer.
Bicycle Safety Tips for California Cyclists
Whether you are an inexperienced rider or a new cyclist, you can benefit from reviewing basic bike safety tips available from numerous resources including:
- Kids Health
- AAA Exchange
- National Safety Council
- Safe Kids Worldwide
- California Department of Motor Vehicles
- California Highway Patrol
Contact A California Bicycle Accident Attorney For A Free Case Review
Contact The Tiemann Law Firm at (916) 999-9000 or by visiting our website to schedule a free consultation with one of our California bicycle accident lawyers.