Slip and falls can happen at any time during the year. However, during the holidays you will probably visit stores, restaurants, and other venues more than you are during other times of the year. You are also likely to attend more parties during this time of year. Therefore, you may be at risk of being injured in a holiday slip and fall.
Why are Holiday Slip
and Falls Common?
Stores have additional merchandise for the holidays that may be stacked precariously or blocking walkways. Stores have a duty to keep walkways clear for customers. In addition, merchandise should not be stacked or stored in a manner that could shift causing a customer to fall.
Additional crowds in restaurants and stores may result in spills that are not immediately cleaned up because wait staff or workers are too busy because they are short-staffed. Also, hosts who may not often entertain in their homes need to be aware of potential holiday slip and fall hazards that could cause a guest to be injured.
What Should You Do After
a Holiday Slip and Fall?
You cannot control your surroundings, but you can be aware of your surroundings. Look out for hazards that could cause a trip and fall. However, if you are injured in a holiday slip and fall, there are some steps that you should take to protect your legal right to seek compensation for your injuries.
- Report the fall immediately to the property owner or the manager. Ask for a copy of the written incident report. If the person does not create a written report, you need to make sure to note the person’s name and title, as well as the date and time you made the report.
- If there are eyewitnesses, ask for the witnesses’ names and contact information.
- See a doctor, regardless of the severity of your injury. You may not believe you are seriously injured. However, you may begin to experience injury symptoms. Any delay in medical care could be used against you by an insurance provider.
- Preserve your clothing and shoes in the event you need to file a claim and questions arise as to what you were wearing at the time of the fall.
- Refrain from discussing the fall or your injuries on social media. If possible, do not use social media after an accident. Consult with an attorney to avoid social media mistakes after a holiday slip and fall.
- Keep detailed notes of all meetings and conversations with anyone regarding your fall.
- Do not provide a written or recorded statement to any party before you consult with a Sacramento slip and fall attorney.
Contact a Sacramento
Slip and Fall Attorney Now
If you are injured in a slip and fall, California’s premises liability laws allow you to seek compensation for your injuries from a negligent property owner. Laws related to slips and falls can be complex. We encourage you to discuss your claim with one of our Sacramento slip and fall attorneys as soon as possible.
Is your child receiving a bicycle for Christmas? Bicycle accidents after the holidays cause many injuries for children. Inexperience is one reason for bicycle accidents. Insufficient safety training is another reason for bicycle crashes. Each year, hundreds of thousands of individuals are injured in bicycle accidents nationwide.
Children between the ages of 5 through 14 years and 15 to 19 years have the highest rate of bicycle-related injuries treated in emergency departments. These age groups account for one-third of the emergency room visits for bicycle injuries.
If your child is receiving a bicycle for Christmas, there are steps that you can take to reduce the risk of bicycle accidents.
Tips for Reducing Bicycle Accidents for Children
- Make sure that the bicycle you choose is the correct height and size for your child. Incorrect bicycle size can increase the risk of a bicycle crash.
- Always make sure that your child wears a bicycle helmet that fits properly. Look for bicycle helmets that have the highest rating for safety and protection.
- Children should also wear protecting knee pads and elbow pads when riding a bicycle.
- Do not allow children to ride bicycles without shoes or while wearing flip-flops or open-toed shoes.
- Train your child in safe bicycling behavior. Children need to understand where to ride their bicycle, how to cross the street, and ways to avoid a crash.
- Do not allow young children to ride bicycles without supervision.
- Make sure that your child’s bicycle has lights and reflectors to increase visibility.
- Do not allow children to ride bicycles at dawn, dusk, or night when drivers may not see them, and it is more difficult to avoid hazards.
What Should You Do If Your Child is Injured in a Bicycle Accident?
Immediately seek medical treatment for your child. Bicycle accidents can cause serious injuries for children. Therefore, even if your child appears to be “fine,” it is always good to see your pediatrician for a physical examination.
If you believe that your child’s bicycle accident was caused by a negligent driver, defective bicycle part, or other wrongdoing, call a Sacramento bicycle accident attorney immediately. Preserve the bicycle and any other evidence from the accident scene.
You and your child may receive compensation for damages related to the accident. Your child may receive compensation for his or her injuries, pain, and suffering caused by a bicycle accident. In addition, you may receive compensation for your financial damages related to the accident. However, you must prove that another party caused the bicycle crash. A Sacramento bicycle accident attorney can help you identify the cause of the accident and gather evidence to prove fault.
Contact a Sacramento Bicycle Accident Attorney
Learn about your legal rights and your child’s legal rights during a free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys in Sacramento. For a free case review, contact The Tiemann Law Firm by calling (916) 999-9000 or by visiting our website.
When another party’s negligence or recklessness injures you, you may receive compensation. California’s personal injury laws allow accident victims to file a Sacramento injury claim for a variety of losses and damages. Damages that are compensable in a Sacramento injury claim include:
- Cost of medical care
- Loss of income
- Permanent disability or impairment
- Physical pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Emotional and mental suffering
- Other financial losses and expenses
Calculating the Value of a Sacramento Injury Claim
The value of your Sacramento injury claim depends on several factors. Four of the top factors that impact the value of your personal injury claim are:
Whether you are partially at fault for the cause of the accident.
Under California’s pure comparative fault laws, your compensation decreases by the percentage of fault assigned to you for the accident. For example, if you are 30 percent at fault for the accident, the maximum compensation for your claim is 70 percent of your damages.
The available insurance coverage.
If the other driver carries minimum insurance coverage, the insurance provider is only obligated to pay compensation up to the policy limits. You can try to collect compensation from the driver. However, if the driver carries minimum insurance coverage, he may not have assets that could be seized to satisfy a judgment.
Therefore, it is wise to carry maximum uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage to protect against drivers who carry the minimum insurance coverage or drive without insurance coverage.
Type and Severity of Injuries
In most cases, the value of a Sacramento injury claim increases when the victim suffers a permanent disability. Ongoing medical costs, future lost wages, and a loss of earning capacity can substantially increase the value of an accident claim. In addition, the value of pain and suffering damages increases for traumatic injuries and permanent impairments.
Accident victims are typically entitled to receive compensation for financial losses related to the accident, their injuries, and their recovery. Other out-of-pocket expenses that are generally compensable in a Sacramento injury claim include travel expenses, help with household chores, personal care, medications, medical equipment, and personal care services. In many cases, the length of your recovery impacts the value of your accident claim. You continue to incur expenses during your recovery.
Do You Need a Sacramento Car Accident Attorney?
If another driver injured you, it is important to understand your legal options for recovering compensation. However, it can be difficult to calculate the value of a Sacramento injury claim if you have never filed an accident claim. Therefore, hiring an experienced attorney who understands the various factors that impact the value of a claim can increase your chance of recovering a fair and just amount for your accident claim.
For a free legal consultation, you can contact The Tiemann Law Firm by calling (916) 999-9000 or by visiting our website. In most cases, our Sacramento personal injury attorneys accept cases on a contingency fee basis. Therefore, you do not need to worry about paying our attorney fees unless we recover money for your claim.
Many people use e-cigarettes because they enjoy the variety of flavors available. Other people vape as a way to quit smoking traditional cigarettes. However, they may not be aware that these devices could spontaneously catch fire or explode while in use. The problem involves the lithium-ion batteries used in these devices. Are some of these devices defective products?
Why are Lithium-Ion Batteries Used if They Are Dangerous?
In most cases, lithium-ion batteries are safe for use in devices designed for lithium-ion batteries. However, there have been reports of the batteries catching fire or causing an explosion. These incidents have caused serious injuries, including severe burns and damage to the mouth, face, and hand. In some cases, placing the device or battery in a pressurized area, such as the cargo area of a plane, causes the problem. For this reason, electronic cigarettes and vaping devices are only allowed in carry-on bags. You cannot include these items in checked bags because of the risk of fire and explosion.
When not used in a pressurized area, most e-cigarettes and vaping devices are safe. However, as with many popular devices, knockoff versions are available at a lower price. These items may not be manufactured correctly and could allow pressure to build up within the device causing a fire or explosion. When this happens, a fire, explosion, or parts that become projectiles because of the explosion could cause injuries.
Another issue that could cause a serious problem is the use of non-approved charging cords. These cords could overcharge the device causing a fire or explosion.
You can reduce the risk of injury from fire or explosion by:
- Only purchase vaping devices and e-cigarettes from authorized dealers for reputable manufacturers and companies.
- Charge the device with the cord supplied with the device.
- If you need to replace the batter in your e-cigarettes or vaping device, contact the manufacturer or company directly.
- Read and follow all manufacturer’s instructions for the safe use of e-cigarettes and vaping devices.
Did Defective Products Cause the Injuries?
All injuries caused by products do not give rise to a product liability claim. However, if you can prove the following you may have a product liability claim:
- You have an injury and damages;
- The product was defective or lacked sufficient warnings and instructions for safe use; and,
- Your injuries were the direct result of the defect in the product, packaging, or warnings/instructions.
Therefore, if your e-cigarette or vaping device explodes and causes an injury, you could receive compensation for your injuries. An experienced Sacramento product liability attorney can review your case to determine if you have a valid claim.
Contact a Sacramento Defective Products Attorney Now!
If a product causes an injury, you need to contact an attorney as soon as possible. Do not destroy the product, its packaging, or the instructions. Retain as much of the original packaging and the product as possible because it may be evidence in a defective product case.
One of the most traumatic injuries a person may suffer because of a motor vehicle accident, slip & fall accident, or other personal injury accident is a spinal cord injury. Spinal cord injuries can result in complete or partial paralysis. Therefore, victims of SCI may face years of rehabilitative therapies. Even with therapy, they may still be unable to return to work or perform normal daily activities.
When the spinal cord injury is caused by another person, you might be entitled to compensation to help pay for rehabilitation after an SCI. Our Sacramento spinal cord injury attorneys can help you file a claim to seek money to help you pay for the expenses related to a spinal cord injury.
What is Included in Rehabilitation Therapy After a Spinal Cord Injury?
The spinal cord carries messages to and from the brain to all areas of the body. However, your spinal cord does not need to be severed for you to suffer a complete spinal cord injury. A blunt impact to the spinal cord can cause severe damage and secondary conditions that may result in paralysis.
With a complete SCI, you lose all sensation and movement in the areas of the body controlled by the spinal cord below the site of injury. Therefore, the higher the injury on the spinal cord, the more chance that you might suffer complete paralysis of all limbs and your torso.
The types of therapy included in spinal cord injury rehab depend on the person, the person’s needs and abilities, and the severity of the spinal cord injury. Most spinal cord rehabilitation plans have four main goals:
- Improving your physical function, including strength and mobility;
- Teaching you how to use various equipment and other adaptive technologies to perform daily tasks;
- Helping you to develop skills and strategies to perform daily tasks with your new level of mobility and sensory level; and,
- Working with you to develop coping skills to overcome the psychological and emotional barriers that could prevent you from adjusting to your new way of performing tasks.
Working with a Spinal Cord Rehabilitation Team
There are many companies and medical facilities that offer rehabilitation services for spinal cord injury victims. Many of the facilities have a team of professionals that work with SCI victims to reach their goals. Some of the health care professionals that might work on your rehabilitation team include:
- Physical therapists help you improve and retain your strength, mobility, and movement.
- Occupational therapists work with you to redevelop your fine motor skills. An occupational therapist can also help you learn new ways of performing tasks.
- Speech therapists might be necessary if the spinal cord injury impacted your verbal skills.
- Mental health professionals help you deal with the emotional and psychological issues that often accompany an SCI. Many SCI victims experience periods of depression, anger, fear, and frustration. Therefore, counselors, therapists, psychologists, and neuropsychologists work with you to address the cognitive and emotional effects of a spinal cord injury.
Depending on your needs and goals, you may work with other health care professionals during SCI rehabilitation therapy. The important thing to remember is to choose a facility that specializes in rehabilitation services for spinal cord injury victims. Likewise, you also want a facility that makes you feel comfortable and confident about your SCI rehabilitation.
Schedule a Free Appointment with a Sacramento Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
If you suffered a spinal cord injury because of another person’s negligence, we want to help. Call The Tiemann Law Firm at (916) 999-9000 or visit our website to request your free case review with one of our Sacramento spinal cord injury attorneys.